Portraits and statues digitally repainted to bring ancient royalty to life

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/portraits-and-statues-digitall.html

4 Likes

Artist breathes life into death masks.

4 Likes

POINT OF PEDANTRY: Julius Caesar wasn’t royal, so much so that his lack of royalty is an important plot point in Shakespeare’s play.

14 Likes

Why don’t these people have mouths for eyes? It’s so weird.

11 Likes

You could have just posted a photo of Geoffrey Baratheon as Caligula. We get it.

12 Likes

Shouldn’t they also be painted with clothes proper for their time? I mean, I doubt any of them would be wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Kudos to the painter, though. Good job on imagining what their face looked like.

3 Likes

That bust of Julius Ceasar is a totally amazing bit of work. The way that the scultor has been able to take a block of rock and turn it in to a naturalistic, idosincratic looking bloke is astonishing. It would be interesting to know who the model was; as it certainly wasn’t the man himself. That is Andrea Ferrucci’s 16th Century sculpture of Ceasar.

Regarding the other one; proof, if any were needed, that Caligual would have made an ideal Tory Candidate.

With both of the retouched pictures, I wonder about the skin tones. I’d have expected them to be rather more Mediterranian.

14 Likes

The project is specifically about placing them in the present day.

1 Like

Gotcha! I’ll take the blame for not visiting the artist’s page :expressionless:

1 Like

Compare Caligula to Donald Trump Jr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_Jr.#/media/File:Donald_Trump,Jr.(43859963370)_(cropped).jpg

Just my 2 cents: Both painted versions appear to have wider jaws, for some reason. Caesar’s painting makes him appear young, but the bust is of an older man. The painting of Caligula doesn’t really look much like the bust. You know who reminds me of that bust? Joffrey.

1 Like

The artist has basically taken the significant features and dropped them on an appropriate posed image, the colour would be dictated by that image, it is an approach that is not always successful.

1 Like

Neat!

1 Like

I was thinking more of Mark Zuckerman, but YMMV.
Julius C. looks vaguely like Liam Neeson.

3 Likes

Don’t all royal families start off that way?

3 Likes

Ask Meghan

Yeah, if they lived today they’d probably be filling the role some Presidents. And they’ll be masked in suits at international meeting… Or maybe worse.
Great representation.

when using a life like statue the results seem to be pretty good but when he uses paintings painted in a unrealistic style he then just transposes them onto a modern human body and it looks really really dumb.

and since its on instagram and they have recently shut down viewing more than a page or two’s worth unless you are logged into a instagram account I find THAT to be dumb as well. turning old art into instagram click bait? ugh how bleck.

Julius Caesar looking like he’s about to drop the hottest 5-camera smartphone of 2020

Am I the only one who detects some whitewashing here? Like, Caesar’s complexion would put him right at home in an Applebee’s in Iowa. I rather doubt that’s correct.

1 Like