Lifelike model of Emperor Nero

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/27/lifelike-model-of-emperor-nero.html

6 Likes

Rob or Nero? hmmmm…

13 Likes

Liquid skin being poured over a lifeless face? Check!
Eyeballs on metal posts? Check!
Eyeballs being pushed roughly into a socket? Check!
Mustache hair being sewn into an upper lip? Check!
A sharp pokey tool poking eyelashes into an eyelid? Check!
Haircut performed with face wrapped tightly in saran wrap? Check!

Ahhh, a full tank of nightmare fuel and nowhere to go.

11 Likes

Approves

1%202khe9CzVhwjrsvcaRKhTqA

10 Likes

11 Likes

Alexa, show me a Frodo - Samwise hybrid.

13 Likes

‘Wreaked havok?’ Fake News!
He made Rome Great Again!
:stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Oh, there’s quite somewhere to go:

1.Look for common but false, Hollywood-amplified cliché (crazy, fat emperor wreaking havoc, starting fire and hating christians) put its name on ugly sculpture
2. ?
3. Profit

1 Like

They knew somehow that he had a crappy beard?

7 Likes

Handsome devil, wasn’t he.

3 Likes

I know that guy!!!

3 Likes

The statue makers did, I presumed. Maybe.

2 Likes

It’s based on a statue where he’s got a similar neckbeard.

6 Likes

He looks the part too. Obviously a slow minded inbred ruler. I’d would have killed everyone too to spare them from looking at me if I had that kind of a face. No doubt

But what I keep wondering is: why is he ginger? Documents describe him as blond, unlike Vitellius, who reportedly was a redhead.

5 Likes

Just to be pedantic, the name you used is the Spanish one, not the actual Latin (as in: real latin) one.

I don’t really understand why this supposedly looks more like him than the existing bust. It looks somehow a bit off. Like they made him a bit more inbred to match the story.

That painting they show as a reference is an interpretation from a much later date I think. As far as I know the bust is the only contemporary image of him and I’m not even sure of that, I couldn’t really find any details about it. But I seem to remember it was e (somewhat restored) original.

They should have just replicated the bust in realistic materials and colors.

(post wasn’t meant as a reply)

3 Likes

Here’s another lifelike model of Nero.

From the side by side, it looks like they got the face more or less as it is in the bust. There’s only two real changes I see, which is the coloring and the hair. The hair on the statue is… well it’s a statue, so it kinda has to be these large curls by default. Translate that into an actual haircut, and suddenly Nero’s bowl-cut style looks a LOT worse. Ditto the beard, except, without color contrast, you can almost go without noticing it on the statue. Now there’s no avoiding it. No one escapes the beard.

So, yeah, basically he looks a lot worse because the fact that the original paint wore off the bust and the limitations of sculpting hair were helping hide that he has a bowl cut held on with a chinstrap.

2 Likes

Dude looks like a “skinhead” ready to snap.

2 Likes