Soccer legend's grotesque statue mocked

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/23/soccer-legends-grotesque-sta.html

2 Likes

8 Likes

Ah no, it’s just as bad I think.

2 Likes

If I become famous, don’t make a statue of me. Even if it looks good it will only end up covered in pigeon shit.

4 Likes

Art is hard.

4 Likes

I still think it is Niall Quinn. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

5 Likes

It does actually look like George Best. But shiny bronze is just not a very good material for representing human beings, with their famously non-metallic faces.

Also, there’s something about casting detailed clay models in bronze that just looks dumb unless you do it really well. It’s better to use digitally-fabricated positives, like I do.

3 Likes

I liked the tale of the room service guy who wheeled a trolley of campaign in to the Presidential Suit where George is lying in the arms of Miss World, looks at the ex-football star and sadly shakes his head, saying, “Where is it all go wrong, eh, Mr Best?”

3 Likes

They’re coming for your soul.

3 Likes

I’m just thrilled that we’re able to share the joyous public art that is The Bronze Fonz with visitors to our fair city.

Though I personally think Salem, MA’s Samantha is cooler.

6 Likes

At some point we as a culture decided that the sort of realism that prevailed between the renaissance and the Victorian era was out of vogue now that we had cameras and modernism. That may be true but you can’t deny that people in the old days has serious skill at depicting people realistically and with depth of feeling. Skills that aren’t very common these days.

Then again I am constantly being blown away by young artists I see on tumblr or Instagram. Maybe it’s just that not many talented people are paid to develop those skills as back before modernism and photography. Sculpture being especially difficult I imagine because jobs are few and far between and you can’t practice making bronze statues (or any life size statues really) easily in a home studio or bedroom.

3 Likes

His chin dimple seems to have migrated to the philtrum.

Still what a fabulous player.

1 Like

It’s easy to get it wrong in stone too:

1 Like

No, no, Mel Gibson really looks like that without makeup.

3 Likes

Just like the weeping angels…:fearful:

2 Likes

That Bronze Fonz is the WORST. It doesn’t look much like him, but doing it in color really ramps up the stupid!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.