This literary jewelry is made from vintage books

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/17/this-literary-jewelry-is-made.html

2 Likes

Every time I see an art project like this, my first thought is that books are for reading, not destroying so you can make a pretty bauble.

My second thought is that if you fish a book from the recycle bin and repurpose it as a pretty bauble instead of sending it to be pulped, then that probably isn’t a sin. But it would still feel wrong to me to buy or own the bauble.

11 Likes

they don’t gotta burn the books they just remove em (to make jewelry)

1 Like

I can’t even throw out an old, falling apart, ruined paperback no one will ever read again without a major pang of guilt.

This would be like wearing mittens made out of dead kitten fur with decorations carved out the bones of stillborn children. (I.E., reallydifficult)

3 Likes

I might’ve mentioned this before, but a while back I had to make some false fronts to some bookshelves. I ended up going to a bunch of local charity and secondhand shops and getting loads of old romance hardcovers for free - on the condition that if I didn’t use them that I wouldn’t bring them back. Apparently paperback romances circulate just fine but hardcovers tend to just sit there, forgotten and unloved and taking up shelf space.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of killing books to make stuff that will end up stuck in a drawer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.