This map shows where the tallest people live

I’m in the 20th percentile for height in the US and my “little” sister is in the 98th percentile.

6 Likes

But you didn’t answer how the air is “up there”.

4 Likes

Aren’t there potentially confounding factors besides nutrition and disease? It might be that taller/shorter people fare well in certain climates and environments for other reasons.

For instance, the northern European countries tend to be fairly cold, so it would be beneficial to be closer to the sun. Conversely, in a hot desert climate short people might be well-served by being able to fit into small shelters or burrow underground.

3 Likes

Tax-funded socialized medicine = taller people?

1 Like

The graph I posted is “% of population earning <$2/day,” and it seems to correlate ridiculously well with the “tallest people” graph.

I think we should get around to solving that poverty thing, and then we can start looking for other confounding factors.

2 Likes

The last two women I dated were something like 5’2" and 5’3", respectively. And that was okay (if I like someone, I don’t much give a damn for their physical attributes), but lately I’ve been working on dating women who are more in my realm of ‘size’.

2 Likes

Pretty sure if you dig deep enough you’ll find that all the above correlate to wi-fi access.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Wee fish on flatbread and its lowering of human value per BMI-adjusted mass; maps TBA.

1 Like

Yeah, but my suggestion teases out the difference between the US and Canada.

Oh, I see the confusion. No, there was a leak of supreme awesomeness around a hundred and fifty years ago that has contaminated everything: the air, the soil, the water.

Anyway, one of the side effects is a couple of extra inches.

1 Like

I’m sure nutrition has a lot to do with it. I grew up in various European countries during the 60s and 70s. Most of the adults around me were of the WW2 or post-war generation, and everywhere except Sweden (which was neutral during WW2), by the time I was a teen I’d be one of the tallest people in a bus or in other crowds. (I was almost 6 feet).

I no longer stand out.

2 Likes

I’m 6’3", wear size 14-15 shoes, and can palm a basketball. Know what that correlates with?

Shoes are damn expensive :slight_smile:

Btw, when did 5’9" become short?

5 Likes

If you’re a man. I’ve been called a “giant” and “very tall” in North America, and I’m only 175cm. In Europe they don’t note my height at all.

I wonder how much the average height has to do with culture, not just tradition. The Netherlands doesn’t just have the nutrition thing happening. Dutch men are also more okay with tall women than, generally speaking, North American men.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Doesn’t show causality. Maybe short people make less money because they’re not as good as tall people.

3 Likes

Sure, that’d be the main factor, no question. But on your graph, the US, Australia and the Netherlands are all the same colour, whereas the height graph shows the Netherlands have a better health system than Australia, which has a better health system than the US.

My folks are 5’8" and 5’2", and I’m 5’10", so he’ll probably be at least a bit taller…

1 Like

That’s it! You want to prove who’s better? Let’s throw down!

On my graph, they’re all at the lowest level (<2%) — we might see better correlation if there were more granulation in the data within that 2%.

Or not, I don’t know.

1 Like
2 Likes