China's life expectancy "now higher than that of the U.S.", if you pick the right sources

Originally published at: China's life expectancy "now higher than that of the U.S.", if you pick the right sources | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Yeah, getting complete data is definitely a challenge. Per the article, Chinese data from 2021 is not available. The Economist famously came out with a very high estimate of recent excess deaths for China (which definitely might be way off) which highlights the challenge of accurate data collection in that country. And obviously severe lockdowns that don’t even let people seek routine healthcare can cause their own health issues even when they do slow the spread of the virus.

Regardless, the US really needs to work on improving our health, Covid or no Covid.

4 Likes

In any case, basically everyone else in the developed world gets a longer life expectancy than either.

That’s half of the real message here.

This is the other half:

I’ve seen variations of this a lot here, and I think I first posted an earlier OECD version on the BBS about a decade ago* but it’s got so much worse. Yes, COVID has exacerbated it, but it was pretty fucked to begin with.

*it was long enough ago that Falcor the Don’t Push Your Luckdragon mocked me for assuming people could recognise the flags of other countries. They were simpler times.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.