This may be the largest creature in history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/19/this-may-be-the-largest-creature-in-history.html

6 Likes
12 Likes

Was it thin at one end, much much thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end?

19 Likes

That is the theory that I have and which is mine and what it is, too.

13 Likes

[Source]

29 Likes

Yo mama…

Oh, never mind.

10 Likes

Great book. Written back when Nazi jokes were a thing you could do and not be making modern commentary.

5 Likes

OMG i love this book SO much. Should be in wider circulation.

4 Likes

The PDF can be got for free online, with permission of the author.

10 Likes

It’s the largest creature in history, for now.

5 Likes

Sounds like you know something. I am very curious what you’ve got planned!

6 Likes

i kinda thought most dinosaurs were that big, honestly.

3 Likes

Visiting a really good natural history museum (NYC’s is fantastic, but Chicago’s ain’t to be sniffed at), and seeing the dino bones is really amazing.

2 Likes

and may have weighed more than 100 tons.

Largest recorded blue whale’s still 190 tons. There’s a slight advantage in the size department of your bones not having to support your weight as much when you’re buoyant.

5 Likes

Here’s the NYC Titanosaur:

One of the cool things they had in that room is a model of one of the shelves from the Big Bone Room in the basement, with small-table-size vertebrae.

2 Likes

If this critter is part of history, then what does “prehistoric” even mean?

4 Likes

Great videos! Thanks!

A friend works at the AMNH, and he gave my BF and me a behind-the-scenes tour. He took us upstairs, and we walked up and down a hall lined with glass cases on both sides, filled with wonderful pre-columbian Central American ceramics. After he had to get back to work, my BF and I went through part of the dinosaur exhibit, and he told me lots more about each critter than the description cards did.

1 Like

There was nobody around who could write about it?

3 Likes

What book is that? I love it!

ETA - just read down the thread. Thanks!

2 Likes

This critter lived 98 million years ago. Pre-history began 3 million years ago. Calling it the “largest creature in history” distorts that context beyond all recognizable meaning.

2 Likes