This moth, a type not seen since 1912, just showed up at the Detroit airport

Originally published at: This moth, a type not seen since 1912, just showed up at the Detroit airport | Boing Boing

4 Likes

A 110-year delay. Makes Heathrow look almost competent.

12 Likes

The mothville moth?

giphy-15

3 Likes

…and boy, are his wings tired.

25 Likes

It takes a long time to take that tunnel to the outer concourses, but 110 years? The blinkenlights are quite distracting, I’ll admit.

4 Likes

According to the passenger, the seed pods were an ingredient in a special medicinal tea—no big deal. Turns out though, there were also moth larvae and pupae among the seed pods.

I think I’ll stick with Earl Grey if it’s all the same to you.

15 Likes

Granted, he’s aged well. Not so ripe anymore. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

“The modern English word moth comes from Old English moððe (cf. Northumbrian mohðe) from Common Germanic (compare Old Norse motti, Dutch mot, and German Motte all meaning ‘moth’). Its origins are possibly related to the Old English maða meaning ‘maggot’ or from the root of midge which until the 16th century was used mostly to indicate the larva, usually in reference to devouring clothes.”

(edit)

Bonus question: what’s the etymology of “entomology”?

5 Likes

Some insects only have one or a handful of host plants, if it’s a rare plant, getting rarer, the insect can similarly become exceedingly rare, to extinct.

Hopefully, they mothballed his luggage.

4 Likes

In other words, killed and mounted.

Moth is not ämüsëd.

9 Likes

Almost overnight airports across the country installed torches to replace fluorescent lighting …

2 Likes

It has been a while.

17 Likes

I am fascinated by moth and their beautiful look; recently I have got this illustrated book inspired to them: Moth Tarots

2 Likes

I’m always excited to hear about news on species thought to be extinct, but as a Michigander my first thought was “awwwww, shiiiit- another invasive species?!?!”.

2 Likes

I hate those lights. The airport is stimulus overload already, the last thing I need is to be confronted with these blinking lights while trying to get off the escalator.

[This is DTW McNamera terminal specific, in case anyone is wondering what the hell we’re on about.]

2 Likes

Moths, am I right?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.