This no-bullshit video perfectly explains why corporations are "embracing" democracy

This. Gallup is about as close to nonpartisan as you can get. And about halfway down that page, they ask independents if they favor Democrats or Republicans, and that skews Democratic as well. And as you pointed out, on policy point after policy point, once you divorce those points from political parties, progressive proposals like stricter background checks on guns, Medicare for all, marijuana legalization all are favored by high majorities of the public. It’s only gerrymandering, the electoral college, and an outsized media insistence that the “heartland” is rural conservative communities that keeps us pushing conservative lies to the forefront of our political system, to the point that even Democratic candidates tend to skew to the right on many topics, or are very tepid on them.

4 Likes

Here’s a video of Hank doing a video without all that editing. I think as much as anything the cutting out of gaps is to speed up the video making process - one long rambling take with mistakes in every other sentence can be edited down much more quickly that trying to get a good take with few or no fluffs.

This was uploaded to allow people have a go at doing their own edit of a video. I though it would be fun to just clip together everything he would have cut out: EDITEDCOMMENTSVIDEO jamesfcarter - YouTube

4 Likes

An interesting example of making a video. I guess autocues aren’t as widespread as they might be.

Even so, the continuous speech pattern, with not even a nanosecond between the end of one sentence and the start of the next is unnatural, annoying and unnecessary.

Even the smallest of almost imperceptible gaps (say, quarter of a second) would improve things hugely without losing people, and would perhaps only add less than a minute to the length of the average video.

(I am not going to torture myself by watching all of one of these and count the number of sentences to verify that rough estimate.)

1 Like

I hope you missed the “not” in that sentence :slight_smile:

Did Lowe’s Donate $25M to Minority-Owned Businesses, While Home Depot Founder Gave to Trump?

2 Likes

That’s great, that really shows how much work goes into the videos they do to make them seem so smooth. Makes me feel a LOT less uncomfortable with the idea of doing videos.

I still think it’s a style preference by the person making it. Editing takes way longer than just doing it right the first time. Of course any speech longer than a few minutes will have some sort of flub, but they already spent a lot of time writing the content and thinking about the pacing and emotional beats they want to hit. I’m sure if they spent a bit of time rehearsing it could save a lot of time editing…but that’s their call and they might either prefer that style or enjoy editing more than shooting. I assumed the style came from some platform that incentivized dense, shorter clips.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m not sure I have a strong enough opinion on the subject to qualify as the “choir”, but I generally agree with you that more + faster =/= better.

When the Trumpists want me to do something I am going to ignore what they say and do what I wanted to do in the first place. This might end up with me doing what they want, but most of the time I will be working against them. It also stops them from using bad reverse psychology on me.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.