This old phone makeover is one of the best restoration videos I've seen

Originally published at: This old phone makeover is one of the best restoration videos I've seen | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Old timey, I like I like.

7 Likes

If it were me, I think I’d try to figure out how to incorporate some contemporary phone guts into it. I miss phone receivers that actually reach the span from your ear to your mouth.

6 Likes

Analog telephone adapters for VoIP could be pressed into service. You’d need to have something like Asterisk and a speech recognition engine to deal with placing calls.

One thing that needs to be kept in mind with especially old phones is that the audio quality may suck even though it works. I have a circa-1928 phone from Oslo that is like that - it sounds like you’re listening through a barrel, and the microphone isn’t much better. Also, many of the pre-1950 phone designs make it impossible to cradle the handset against your shoulder (a problem that returned with a vengeance with cell phones).

2 Likes

Great little restoration, although I would have been tempted to leave the guts out and leave the box part so it can be opened on those hinges. Then you have more uses for it than just taking up space looking all retro cool.

3 Likes

3 Likes

No Raspberry Pi?

“Ahoy Google!”

3 Likes

I really love that there is no music soundtrack, just the natural sounds of the work. It conveys some of the silent concentration needed, & the soothing effect of handiwork. Also love the finish!

3 Likes

would make an excellent intercom to your workshop if you can find a second one…

1 Like

LADB is one of the best restorers on YT IMHO. His videos are so calming and interesting. He tries to save every last piece of wood and doesn’t fret about making things all shiny - just restored.

3 Likes

Exactly the kind of thing I want to watch. Extra bonus points for featuring the cat, however briefly.

1 Like

Fascinating. I wish it you could ring up “central” and make a call with it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.