This website preserves the sounds of obsolete devices

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/18/this-website-preserves-the-sou.html

4 Likes

Ringtones!

I had the exact opposite reaction. There are so many analog phones there but none of them ring! It’s just a person lifting the receiver, pushing buttons, mashing the hook switch like you see in the movies and hanging up the receiver. It seems like a crime to not go the extra mile and power the phone so we get to hear the fantastic rings (which are probably the most prominent part of a phone’s identity).

4 Likes

This makes me think of this post of Cory’s:

1 Like

My Dad got a restored hay baler from the 1940s the year before last. As soon as he started using it, I recognized the sound as the buried alien craft from the 2005 War of the Worlds. I suspect a bunch of analog machines have found new life as sound effects in film.

I don’t know for sure if the WOTW sound designers actually used a baler for their effects, but it was close enough for that to be the immediate association for me. I suspect farmers who used that equipment back then would see the film and wonder why the alien craft sound like old farm equipment.

2 Likes

The Nokia ringtone is preserved then. RIP Nokia!

“A skeuomorph is a derivative object that retains ornamental design cues from structures that are inherent to the original. Examples include pottery embellished with imitation rivets reminiscent of similar pots made of metal and a software calendar that imitates the appearance of binding on a paper desk calendar.”

Vocabulary +1. Thanks BB!

I gave a ViewMaster to a friend for Christmas last year… https://smile.amazon.com/Basic-Fun-ViewMaster-Star-Wars/dp/B00CFWWF5O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537363204&sr=8-4&keywords=viewmaster+star+wars

I had a conversation with the late sir arthur c clarke
about early electronic phone books that emitted a wobble
of tones when you pointed at a phone number

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.