How sound is used to make you remember brands

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/21/how-sound-is-used-to-make-you.html

6 Likes

Illustrative and evocative video. I wonder how often the emotional attachment of a particular sound, even if only subliminally remembered, can affect new experiences.

For example, the beginning of this song by Primitive Radio Gods contains a very distinctive mechanical sound. Few people younger than say, 40, have experienced it outside of a recording. To them I expect it’s a generic studio noise, maybe even annoying.

To those of us who actually used a stacking spindle, it induces a kind of nostalgic reaction, even if not immediately identifiable.

Funny–I had those stacking spindles (and LPs that had sides 1 and 4 on one album and 2 and 3 on the other so you could just flip them over). But I always heard the opening of this song as a record being lowered and played on a jukebox.

Sort of reminds me of the opening 10 or so seconds in this song:

Those unmistakable sounds of the actuation of that chunky power switch, the Mac startup chime, the satisfying clunk of a floppy being inserted, and the noisy armature on the floppy drive shifting back and forth. It’s all very evocative to me.

I read that in Nokia Ringtone.

Mostly, it seems, at theaters.

(In my experience. I never had one of those phones.)

2 Likes

Occasionally, I will queue up the Dolby Surround Sound, don the headphones, twist the volume and just go for it a half a dozen times. This is usually followed by ANOTHER listen to the shootout scene in “Heat”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.