Videogame company Bandai Namco made the sounds for Nissan's new cars

Originally published at: Videogame company Bandai Namco made the sounds for Nissan's new cars | Boing Boing

1 Like

Well, I guess it’s too late to bring back Marty Ingels (the voice of Pac-Man in the animated series) to record any voice commands.

3 Likes

The most interesting bit, a before/after comparison, starts at approx. 2min: Nissan and Bandai Namco team up to create a distinct new sound - YouTube

3 Likes

They did a very nice job of making the sounds more pleasant and musical, but I’d be interested to hear what it would be like if someone tried out some audio skeuomorphism… for example, could the seatbelt reminder be vaguely reminiscent of the sounds seatbelts make? Could the turn signal audio be slightly louder in the direction you’re signaling?

6 Likes

Looks at the header image

Oh, I almost forgot that sound team also made a vocaloid hahah.

2 Likes

At first glance I was afraid that the article was about the enhanced engine noise that became popular with US auto makers some years ago (ref washington post). As someone with partial hearing, the trend of enhancing noise pollution is one I’d be happy to outlive.

4 Likes

This is what I thought at first. I know a lot of Mustang owners were upset that “enhanced” engine noise was being pumped back into the car through its speakers.

2 Likes

Hopefully the noise it makes when you’re being chased by a ghost is generally distinguishable from a police siren.

3 Likes

Make it sound like the BttF DeLorean and you have my interest.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I want to hear when I’m running low on gas. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Can I get these loaded on my new-ish Nissan? I’d even pay a small amount.

Though, I’d pay substantially more if I could use my own sounds! Why is this not a thing!?!

2 Likes

I thought it was going to be about engine noise, too. Which would naturally lead to the joke that Subaru engineers were designing the sounds for the next Mario Bros game…

1 Like

I’ll buy a Nissan if it plays the Katamari Damacy theme when starting up.

3 Likes

Someone might find a way to hack that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.