This photo is a look back in time 13 billion years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/06/this-photo-is-a-look-back-in-t.html

2 Likes

Could have at least taken the trouble to focus it. What the hell are we paying these astrophysicists for anyway?

7 Likes

If you think about it, 13 billion years isin’t really that long ago…

1 Like

That fuzzy green blob kinda reminded me of: image

2 Likes

Immediately reminded me of:

4 Likes

Well, that makes me feel old.

No, really. When I was young the age of the universe was somewhere between 2 and a bit billion years and infinity. It is now 13.772±0.059 billion years, and we are better at relating early events to the Big Bang then to now. The Earth was supposed to have been formed by a close ass with another star drawing off a ‘cigar-shaped’ mass the formed the planets. It now formed from a dust cloud 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years ago. No telescope was ever going to resolve a star into a disc, and now we can. A lot has changed in my small life.

My grandfather was in the First World War. He saw the Wright Brother’s first flight in a cinema newsreel, and also saw people land on the moon. It’s a good universe. Don’t let the disaster caitalists screw it over for the price of a new jet-ski.

8 Likes

I’m calling it the Smudge galaxy.

3 Likes

The Outer (Space) Limits!

2 Likes

They always look so cute at that age but 13 billion years later they’re gone and they never call.

3 Likes

Hey, I can see my house!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.