This pot of beef soup has been cooking for 45 years

Selling the same thing for generations

1 Like

well that’s the “no boingboing contributor actually reads boingboing” square on my bingo card

7 Likes

Gee, pease porridge only takes 9 days.

Slow news day, man. The only thing really of note was the fall of western civilization.

Everything’s west if you go far enough left mwhahaha

Ok, fall of civilization. Period.

1 Like

Others have done the math on this kind of soup, and if only half of the broth is eaten every day, and then it’s topped up the next day, there are no molecules of the original broth left after 84 days.

So the pot has been in use for 45 years, but the soup itself is newer than what you’ll get in a can of Campbell’s soup, and is kept at a temperature which prevents pathogens from growing in it. I’m sure the taste reflects the slow-cooking of some part of the broth, but it’s not newsworthy except to a bad journalist who doesn’t do proper research. And then Boing Boing doubles down on their poor reporting by posting it again and again.

1 Like

Using the same principle it ought to be possible to make incremental changes to the recipe over 45 years, to turn that beef soup into chicken soup and never lose a customer. I would be grateful if anyone who has done the math could post on turning tomato soup into red wine.

As the liquid level falls due to reduction or use, the broth or stock will brown against the side of the pot at the surface. Creating a bed of fond that will partially disolve into the broth when more liquid is added. Flavoring it. This article even mentions it, in the form of a ridge of cooked on soup that built up along the top of the pot.

Like I said I’ve had some master stock based stuff, the distinctive thing about them is they taste very browned.

Making red wine requires fermentation at room temp or below. You could transition to a red wine based broth or stock and its not gonna take any longer than switching to any other liquid.

This is only true if the soup is homogeneously distributed (and so every molecule has a 50% chance of being included in the half that’s removed). This is clearly not the case here- any residues that stick to the side or bottom of the pot are much less likely to be removed.

Maybe someone should take a scraping and carbon-date it…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.