This pot of beef soup has been cooking for 45 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/24/this-pot-of-beef-soup-has-been.html

4 Likes

Saw this recently on youtube and it’s a really fascinating story. Very curious what it tastes like :slight_smile: i’d try it for sure.

3 Likes

If anyone needs a good comment for this peanut gallery, see the peanut gallery over here:

10 Likes

“I think it’s done now.”

3 Likes

This post has been simmering for 4-5 days

20 Likes

Mystery Stew, good name for a band as well.

4 Likes

They opened for Stomach Pump last week I believe.

Someone ate the head of a bat.

6 Likes

It tastes like 45 years of dead flies.

3 Likes

There’s no way 45 years of accumulated meat based soup crust doesn’t develop a unique aroma. And taste. It’s biological at the moment, but they’re aiming for primordial.

1 Like

They’ve been selling it for a couple of generations, they must be doing something right.

3 Likes

Nope. I’d rather put a spider up my bum.

3 Likes

Soup of Theseus

8 Likes

It’s called the master stock system.

There are places in China that have had a pot of stock going for a hundred years or more. And there are some places in American Chinatowns, particularly NY and San Francisco that have supposedly had them going for a couple decades. The Chinese use the stock for poaching/braising meats, though its also used as the basis for sauces on noodle dishes. But its reasonably common in various parts of Asia for different sorts of dishes. I’ve had some noodle dishes and braised meats made using not particularly old master stocks. It tastes very browned.

7 Likes

Isn’t this the trick to really good bowl of ramen?

1 Like

To my knowledge its not really something that’s used with Ramen. And a bunch of Ramen styles are made with fairly light, quick cooked broths where you wouldn’t want to do this.

The trick with Ramen is a good broth, and seasoning each bowl with a dose of Tare. Its basically a concentrated flavoring derived from the sauce of the same name. Which at its most basic is just soy, mirin and sake cooked down till it’s slightly thick. Which is where we get teriyaki from, tare is the sauce you use for grilling (yaki). Ramen tare is a lot more varied. Aside from the fact that every shop will do it a little different. Different styles call for different tare. Tonkotsu and Shoyu would tend to use a soy sauce based one. But something like Shio might not. I’ve made bacon Tare for Tonkotsu before because why the fuck not.

On top of that a good bowl of Ramen is often garnished with a flavorful oil. Think chili oil, or the charred garlic oil that’s often drizzled on Tonktsu.

I’m sure there’s some Ramen shops in Japan that go for master stock, cause there seems to be a Ramen shop in Japan doing just about everything. Including hot dog and sweet corn Ramen. But I’ve heard a little bit more about never ending pots of Japanese Curry than old Ramen broths. Sort of like the eternal chili you hear about in the US every once and a while.

6 Likes

I think I got that master stock idea from the film Tampopo, which, to be fair, I saw a long time ago.

5 Likes

I just watched it again a couple of weeks ago. Its brilliant and my favourite “Spaghetti Eastern”. Funny as. There is also a really good doco on “The Making of Tampopo”.
Watch that movie:

7 Likes

Or “broth of Theseus.”

Either way, it’s too damn old and should be thrown out.

1 Like

Uh maybe you’re new here but the boing boing motto is “a directory of wonderful thingsposts so nice we shared them twice”

1 Like

4 Likes