This record-breaking new 2.5 mile roller coaster will go 150+ mph

Originally published at: This record-breaking new 2.5 mile roller coaster will go 150+ mph | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Another terminal ride?

14 Likes

cool roller coaster those boys in the video built together. they gonna let girls on it or no?

15 Likes

Strangely, this rollercoaster isn’t the scariest thing about going to this Six Flags. They lost a branding opportunity by not calling the ride “The Bonesaw”.

11 Likes
13 Likes

Saudi Arabia has too much money.

4 Likes

Six Flags Qiddiya? It’s like an Onion article.

No women allowed. No alcohol. 130 degrees. Priced for the theocrat oil-garchy crowd. Recreational beheadings (judicial and rollercoaster-ial).

Where do I sign up?

11 Likes

Blood shooting to one side of the brain? I’m all in!

5 Likes

Not with me, it won’t…

7 Likes

And they probably forcibly displaced the local population - murdering those who objected - to build it with slave labor, too. (Something that’s reportedly true of the planned line city they announced.)

I am wondering now if Saudi Arabia is one of those countries with strict safety laws for this kind of thing, or the kind of loose safety laws that mean there’s a high risk of dying when you get on a ride. I suspect it’s the latter…

2 Likes

CSB
Grew up in Tampa near Bush Gardens so I’ve been on a few rides.
Best roller coaster memory ever:
Six Flags NE Superman (circa 2004). Right as we went over the top loop a penny fell out of my pocket. It fell as the same speed as we did so for a few seconds it just floated in front of me twirling before gravity kicked in and it was gone. I’ll never experience that again in my life.
/CSB

3 Likes

The coaster community is generally taking a we’ll-believe-it-when-we-see-it approach, especially towards the logistics of blowing sand at 155mph. That, plus Saudi Arabia’s human rights record makes visiting a non-starter for some.

4 Likes

that seems … unnecessary

1 Like

Fun fact: This wasn’t Patrick Warbuton’s first rodeo in pre-ride safety instructions.

Honestly, it’s the best casting ever done for a Disney attraction, IMHO.

5 Likes

I remember that ride; a family member waiting in line with me noted “hey, he kind of sounds like Buzz Lightyear.”

Which is actually apropos since he’s one of the actors who voiced that character outside the Pixar movies.

4 Likes

Soarin’ Is a surprisingly good ride, too. Somehow exhilarating and relaxing at the same time.

2 Likes

One of the most accessible attractions from Imagineering.

If the guest can transfer to the seat, there’s plenty of space to board and unboard the ride vehicle. Easy storage of assistive mobility devices. The physical motion of the ride is thrilling, but not with the physical demands of a thrill ride.

And with Warburton as your lead flight attendant? Perfection.

3 Likes

Nothing says puking my guts into my mouth and having g-force stuff them back inside me like some vaguely Persian dubstep. Well done.

I wasn’t planning on going to Saudi Arabia before, but now…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.