This security camera uses facial recognition to give you some privacy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/15/this-security-camera-uses-faci.html

After all the (justified) criticism of facial recognition systems on BoingBoing, it seems disingenuous to offer one up at the BB Store. Facial recognition is bad except for our facial recognition?

13 Likes

So it records everything that happens inside my house, and uploads the video recordings to “the cloud,” at which point I have to trust some corporation to keep my private business secure. And if they have lousy security and some Russian downloads everything, they’re going to be real sorry and tell me that they take my privacy very seriously.

In exchange for all this, I get notified after burglars get into my house.

13 Likes

Up is down, down is up. I don’t understand how this happened.

I hope the coffee’s still good in this bizarro world.

5 Likes

I agree. This advert contradicts privacy posts (usually written by Cory). Surely there’s a better way to support Boing Boing without this messy BB store?

5 Likes

That is SOP for the BB store. It’s well known for hawking the very internet of shit that BB writers so often rail against.

7 Likes

Dear Christ, an ad for facial recognition technology. See also the scammy ad recently about how to get into real-estate investing (“it’s not just for the 1% anymore”). I realise the editors don’t owe us readers anything, we’re free to not visit any more if we don’t like the advertising policy, it’s their blog etc. But I would have more respect for the editors if they could engage with the community here about the crazy dissonance this kind of bullshit creates. These ads appear almost indistinguishable from regular articles (at least in blog view which is how I see them). This is poor practice in every other publication, why is it tolerated here? Would it not be honest of you guys to address this, to maintain trust with your readers and to distinguish yourselves from publications that really are just meant to scrape as many dollars from out of the rest of the world as possible?

5 Likes

I completely agree. BB staff have consistently failed to engage with the readership about this issue. I’ve tagged them in repeatedly and they never show up. All I can figure is they’re way to embarrassed to show their faces around this issue.

3 Likes

Just go to “Settings” then navigate to “OK to murder these people” and add yourself or your most beloved family members. Privacy so complete that even the time they spend with an armed assassin will be off-the-record.

3 Likes

BoingBoing: “Facial recognition is evil”
BoingBoingShop: “Put this facial recognition in your home!”
BoingBoing: “CBD products are not well tested, and the effects are unclear.”
BoingBoingShop: “Give this CBD to your dog!”
BoingBoing: “Look at this useless crap someone is trying to sell. Just look at it!”
BoingBoingShop: “Did I hear my name?”

8 Likes

" This security camera uses facial recognition to deny you some privacy"
FTFY

In what world does surveillance equate to privacy? Even if it does give some control I’d be concerned, IOT devices don’t exactly have a great track record when it comes to security. There are whole lists of open or default password protected network cameras on Shodan etc. Also I have no reason to trust the company or their cloud.

3 Likes

Visiting boingboing lately feels like seeing a once great band that is still touring around. A couple of the original members still into it, still playing like they mean it, some hired players you’ve never seen before filling out the sound, and a couple of the OGs seemingly disinterested, only stepping to the mic to remind you of the “Great Deals” on knock-off power tools, sketchy surveillance gear, and real estate investment opportunities at the merch table. What next in the boingboing shop, phrenology courses? stalkerware apps? ‘yoni eggs’?

5 Likes

BB is totally into tracking. Just check what the Privacy Badger has to say on any given BB post. The numbers just keep going up!!

1 Like

1 Like

I chose to read this as a satire taking itself particularly seriously, even to the point of having ‘buy’ links.
It’s pretty funny when you read it like that, right from the title.
This security camera uses facial recognition to give you some privacy” is a satirical masterpiece right up there with 1984 :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.