This short quiz reveals how susceptible you are to misinformation

I read recently (maybe here on the bbs) that English needs a verb for when I do this:

1. Read a news article about a subject in which I am competent.
  2. Shake my head. There’s a whole lot of “Yes, but…” and “That’s not how it works…” from me.
  3. Move on to the next article, which involves a subject in which I am not competent.
  4. Be amazed at this stunning turn of events.
3 Likes

Well, look who finally showed up!

Poor critter was a bit ragged…

So, let’s see the results:

:tada: Congratulations!

You’re more resilient to misinformation than 96% of the US population!

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Your MIST-20 results: 20/20

Veracity Discernment: 100% (ability to accurately distinguish real news from fake news)
Real News Detection: 100% (ability to correctly identify real news)
Fake News Detection: 100% (ability to correctly identify fake news)
Distrust/Naïvité: 0 (ranges from -10 to +10, overly skeptical to overly gullible)
:point_right: Your ability to recognize real and fake news is great! You are neither too skeptical nor too gullible when it comes to the news.

3 Likes

:tada: Congratulations!

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Your MIST-16 results: 15/16

Veracity Discernment: 87.5% (ability to accurately distinguish real news from fake news)

Real News Detection: 87.5% (ability to correctly identify real news)

Fake News Detection: 100.0% (ability to correctly identify fake news)

Distrust/Naïvité: -1 (ranges from -8 to +8, overly skeptical to overly gullible)

:point_right: Your ability to recognize real and fake news is great! You might be a bit skeptical when it comes to the news.

After the last decade on TERF Island, I’m surprised my distrust is that low.

3 Likes

It’s a phenomenon known as Gell-Mann amnesia.

And there’s this great old-school style youtube video about Gell-Mann amnesia and it’s inverse (you know, “I’m competent at physics, so I can now opine on economics/medicine/art!”)

2 Likes

Me: Hey cool, there’s a name for it. [looks it up]. And the term was coined by … Michael Crichton? [sad trombone]

Oh well.

Also: Yay, another Angela Collier vid!

ETA: I really can’t get over how Michael Crichton coined the term, while building a career on its inverse: assuming that competence in one area meant a similar level of competence in others. He used his extensive background in [checks notes] biological anthropology to write a critique of climate and atmospheric science, called “State of Fear”. It was slammed by actual climate scientists, but according to Wikipedia, Dubya loved it.

And seriously: a room full of professional biologists who all forgot that reptiles can change their sex? That’s one of the most mind-blowing things they would’ve learned in first or second year.

2 Likes

Well I had to wait over two hours, and restart my chromebook once. But the results were worth it!!

You’re WAY more resilient to misinformation than 127% of the US population!

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Your MIST-20 results: 23/20

Veracity Discernment: 110.3% (ability to accurately distinguish only the realest news from all that fake news)

Real News Detection: 100.004% (ability to correctly identify real news, even when impaired)

Fake News Detection: 103.3333% (ability to correctly identify fake news, even by the smell)

Distrust/Naïvité: -3 (ranges from -10 to +10, overly skeptical to overly gullible (yet somehow charming))

:point_right: Your ability to recognize real and fake news is ROARSOME! You are in your own category when it comes to the news.

Sadly, the app stopped working as soon as I finished. I got no splanations!

1 Like

Yeah, which makes me wonder: is the test too easy, or is the state of civic engagement and media literacy so eroded that a large number of people can’t identify obviously fake headlines? I can believe the latter after Faux’s 40 year campaign to create a fact-free conservative echo chamber.

True, but “Fake News”, misinformation, and disinformation have been openly discussed issues for at least two election cycles now, if not more. Being told it’s a test to identify fake news, given to people told they are swimming in a sea of fake news, is in itself an interesting test of whether test takers can identify it when it is served to them on a platter.

Trying to think of a clever analogy about testing whether fish can identify water…

1 Like