This short quiz reveals how susceptible you are to misinformation

Originally published at: This short quiz reveals how susceptible you are to misinformation - Boing Boing

1 Like

You’re more resilient to misinformation than 96% of the US population!

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Your MIST-20 results: 20/20

Veracity Discernment: 100% (ability to accurately distinguish real news from fake news)

Real News Detection: 100% (ability to correctly identify real news)

Fake News Detection: 100% (ability to correctly identify fake news)

Distrust/Naïvité: 0 (ranges from -10 to +10, overly skeptical to overly gullible)

:point_right: Your ability to recognize real and fake news is great! You are neither too skeptical nor too gullible when it comes to the news.

I think this means I spent far too much time thinking about that sort of stuff…

16 Likes

Wow that’s a slow site, and no feedback either. I thought there was some kind of problem when I, after a long load, clicked on the consent button and nothing happened.

A while later…

For the real ones, I often didn’t actually know that they were real, just that they were plausible. I mean, what do I know about Moroccan politics? Appointing a poverty commission seems pretty much like standard statecraft and isn’t much of an emotional manipulation, but that doesn’t mean it is true.

11 Likes

the site is 'boinged.

17 Likes

I too was unable to get the thing to load…

13 Likes

Nice try, but I’m not susceptible enough to do any kind of online quiz. :wink:

23 Likes

Yeah, the questions seemed too easy to me. If it has a strong viewpoint, it’s fake, if it seems plausible and non-sensationalised, it’s real. That’s not how (all) fake news works in the real world. I would have liked some real news headlines that are biased from a point of view that is not my own, but not faked and some fake news that’s “too good to be true” because it feeds my biases. That would have made it harder.

10 Likes

This is the true test.

15 Likes

Hope i’m not thereby proven ‘susceptible’ by leaving open a tab which has declared “Please wait…” for over a half an hour now. (closing tab… now)

11 Likes

whoops!

4 Likes

Not just me then? :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Here’s the real test.

15 Likes

The thing about these quizzes is that you know they are going to present fake news so you are looking for it. But when your supreme leaders keep yelling at you on your favorite news show, it’s somehow more believable.

9 Likes

Same, but maybe the link on BB is making it so they’re getting hammered with traffic today…
That said, this was an interesting piece on CBS Sunday Morning from a while back -

8 Likes

It would also be nice to have a link to the quiz site without the Facebook tracking (fbclid=…).

4 Likes

I can’t believe you fell for that. :wink:

11 Likes

the app isn’t working, I’ve tried on multiple browsers, Brave, Edge, Opera and in a virtual browser

2 Likes

Is the true test how long you are willing to wait for the page to load?

7 Likes

It’s either amazing Web3 running over fantabulous QUIC or making time for the malware to complete its work.

2 Likes

Man, that site must be getting hammered.
Either that, or they are using RFC 2549, the old ‘IP over Avian Carriers’ communications format.
Well, it is a University study, & they probably have a tight budget, so…

4 Likes

:notes:Never gonna click that link…

2 Likes