This squirrel is the cutest thing on two wheels

Humans have certainly kept a lot of species that aren’t domesticated. Apparently for example pet foxes are a thing, although a fox isn’t domesticated. Not saying that is a good idea, though.

I’m not entirely sure the little guy needs a prosthesis. He seemed pretty mobile in the very fist part of the video. And more comfortable. The wheels seemed to be freaking him out. Caster-type wheels may have been better, so he can move more than just straight ahead. Or a harness with just pegs with grips.

When I see some of these fix-wild-animal-with-prosthesis videos it makes me wonder, was it really done for the animal or for the people involved?

1 Like

It’s an interesting question, if humans did not intervene, would the squirrels situation be improved or not?
I’ll accept that these freedoms make sense when humans are involved, a sort of prime directive to guide us in dealing with other creatures as we do what we do best.

Agreed, but… has the squirrel been deprived of it? Certainly as consequence of the trap, but I don’t think I can say that the specific people who did this or any future caregivers are depriving this squirrel of 4 as they strive to provide 1, 2 and 3.
5 Is tricky, it is entirely possible that the squirrel’s new environment will cause mental suffering we don’t know, in a sense, even (especially?) with our best intentions, the squirrel is caught between our own human impulse to alleviate suffering, our social understanding of what suffering means and our un-tuned ability to empathize with the suffering of non-humans.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.