Thomas Middleditch gives the perfect explanation for the allure of D&D

I don’t think I’m a good D&D gamer. At least, at one point, I could’nt really grok the concept of it, but in the years that I’ve been playing with my group of friends, I think I’ve gotten the first thing about it.

to the original point: when the gaming sessions are once a month because that’s the only time slot that everyone matches up on, things tend to stretch out a bit. I think our current campaign has run for about 8 years plus at this point, on that once or twice a month schedule.

Well, why not do that then?

Despite what hordes of people will try to tell you, role playing games do not in fact require you to pretend to be a French accented dwarf looking for vengeance on the ghost of the man who destroyed her clan and who only speaks in rhyme™ or whatever.

You can just play it as a tactical skirmish game with extra bits added.

Your character can simply be a cipher for you to play things out as you doing the stuff you would do in that situation. If you can manage that in a book, a roleplaying game shouldn’t be a problem.

Unless of course you’re playing with people who insist that you have to speak in a silly voice and say everything “in character”. That could well be frustrating.

2 Likes

True, tried that, but what I would do in most situations is either to run away or press the big red button that says Do Not Touch :slight_smile: Also, I cannot imagine imaginary scenery… might be slightly autistic, besides my ADD.
The post was really just to say that people not understanding something might not be because they haven’t tried, their neurons just fire differently :slight_smile: And just because you don’t understand something, doesn’t make it bad.

2 Likes

Sounds very sensible. Very OSR too.

Well, in that you would appear to fit into every role playing group ever. :slight_smile:

Hear, hear.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.