Those antique photos of real dragons aren't real, sadly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/27/those-antique-photos-of-real-dragons-arent-real-sadly.html

4 Likes

The photos are real. Real pictures of fake dragons.

7 Likes
3 Likes

It’s no long horse, but it’s nice.

2 Likes

A photograph is an image taken by a camera. An AI-generated image isn’t a “photograph* any more than a crayon drawing is a photograph.

The Thunderbird images may have been real staged and/or doctored photographs but these dragons are not.

4 Likes

Any first-year photography student would dispute that definition.

3 Likes

well, Im glad they aint;

5 Likes

Extra concerning because they eat ash.

3 Likes

I always thought that was about the dumbest explanation I’d ever heard for why dragons breathe fire. How does a creature derive chemical energy from the ashes of a complex life form that has been reduced to little more than elemental carbon? And even if it could, why would anything that ate ash need big sharp carnivore teeth?

4 Likes

Has National Geographic been lying to us for nearly a century now? I’m so disillusioned…

7655465366_9c1ee51e79
7655547150_6089ac3eae

4 Likes

But do they advertise so with a bumper sticker?

1 Like

I find myself amused that these are very much based on extremely contemporary notions of what “dragons” look like, which are partially informed by modern popular reconstructions of certain theropod dinosaurs.

yeah. that cannot be good for global warming.

anthropogenic dracopogenic climate change

6 Likes

we have to check the data; probably the smoke from burning civillization to the ground outweights the heat from their breath, but maybe only short-term?

2 Likes

No one rides a dragon for free.

full house whatever GIF

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.