Throw away any Zantac you have around

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/01/throw-away-any-zantac-you-have.html

3 Likes

Not being able to find ranitidine was already driving me nuts before COVID-19 hit. I’ve been trying to find another H2 antagonist that’s similar efficacious for me, but it’s just become impossible to shop for any.

7 Likes

My boss eats those like candy…

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, you get more N-Nitrosodimethylamine in a slice of pepperoni pizza than you do in 30 days doses of Zantac. I’ve switched to Pepcid-AC max strength but it doesn’t do as good of a job as Zantac did.

3 Likes

Famotidine works a bit better for me and is available as a generic.

But maybe don’t just throw it in the trash, bring it to the medicine disposal bin at a pharmacy.

7 Likes

I used to be on Nexium, and then they wanted me to try Zantac and one or two others. I eventually stopped entirely. Homeopathic methods and common sense do far better to control my reflux than that garbage.

2 Likes

Everybody’s different I guess. With Zantac, the recommended dosage kept me completely comfortable. With Pepcid, I have to pop a couple of Tums a day as well.

1 Like

common sense [does] far better to control my reflux than that garbage.

To each their own, but taking an actual antacid to reduce acid production seems all sorts of common sense to me.

5 Likes

Well, I am not a doctor doling out advice to anyone. I am taking care of MY body. And the discomfort of reflux is rather easily managed by not consuming things that will aggravate it is a far better path to venture down than taking a PPI or other big pharma pill that is far more likely to give me cancer or ya know poisoning me as is the case with Zantac.

2 Likes

Trump suggesting Zantac as a cure for Covid-19 because he heard the name on Fox News in 10, 9, 8, 7, …

4 Likes

My mom has numerous ulcers and has always had acid reflux. I started developing it over the past few years. Based on her recommendation, I’ve been taking papaya enzymes. So far it’s been excellent.

2 Likes

Only Big Pharma can commit atrocious health crimes and be able to tell the public to throw away the evidence

What ultimately worked for me was regular fasting. I used to wake up at night choking on stomach acid, even while popping Prilosec daily. Very soon after beginning a regimen of intermittent fasting, all those symptoms vanished. YMMV.

3 Likes

What.

A manufacturing flaw was found. That flaw has been verified. Now news of that flaw is being disseminating to reduce harm wherever possible.

If you want to believe that there are evil pharma execs sneaking around and giggling as they pour beakers labeled “carcinogen” into their manufacturing line, go ahead and knock yourself out, but do so knowing that it’s a very silly idea.

8 Likes

I’ve had similar results with intermittent fasting and cutting sugar and complex carbs. Basically keto, but I’ve stopped counting carbs, I mostly get carbs through vegetables anymore.

I really hate to sound like one of the keto cured everything people, but, before I started I suffered from acid re-flux, insomnia, and had lots of smelly farts. Now that I don’t eat sugar and complex carbs, all those problems have stopped. Both the farting and insomnia were pretty surprising. After my wife and I had been doing keto for a couple of months, we realized that neither of us could remember the last time we farted.

Last night my we cheated and ate a frozen pizza. I was up until 2am and today we are both farting like something crawled up our ass and died.

The less I eat carbs, the less I miss them.

4 Likes

“Do not take Zantac” is a lot different than “Throw away all your Zantac”. If all the customers throw away all the “flawed” Zantac, then the only entity that has Zantac left is the company that (most likely) knew it had a flaw(s). In most crimes, aren’t you supposed to keep a proper chain of evidence?

FDA has the evidence they need already.

2 Likes

Wait, are you me???

Omeprazole - omeprazole - omeprazole

1 Like