Ticks that spread infectious brain disease reach Britain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/29/ticks-that-spread-infectious-b.html

4 Likes

So that’s what happened to the last few British Prime Ministers and the Brexiteers! (I wouldn’t let it excuse them, though.)

9 Likes

PHE says the risk to people is still “very low”.

This is how it starts…

11 Likes

I would have expected his side kick really…

9 Likes

For what it is worth there is a vaccine for tick borne encephalitis, on the continent we usually get it if we are outdoors a lot, like walking a dog.

5 Likes

We warned Boris about staying over at the White House.

9 Likes

The link leads nowhere. Out of professional interest, I was wondering which particular zoonotic encephalitis this is? There are quite a few of them out there.

8 Likes

Coincidentally, I had to have a tick removed from my scalp yesterday. I was worried about Lyme disease, and now you’ve given me something else to worry about.

9 Likes

Here’s the story in the BBC:

And the original press release from PHE:

Sadly, it doesn’t explain the large number of people in the UK whose brains have apparently been infected by the more deadly Toryvotreus Murdochii

12 Likes

"Cause[edit]

TBE is caused by tick-borne encephalitis virus, a member of the genus Flavivirus in the family Flaviviridae. It was first isolated in 1937. Three virus sub-types also exist: European or Western tick-borne encephalitis virus (transmitted by Ixodes ricinus), Siberian tick-borne encephalitis virus (transmitted by I. persulcatus), and Far-Eastern tick-borne encephalitis virus, formerly known as Russian spring summer encephalitis virus (transmitted by I. persulcatus).[6][7]

Russia and Europe report about 5,000–7,000 human cases annually.[1][8]

The former Soviet Union conducted research on tick-borne diseases, including the TBE viruses. "

Ixodes ticks are a pestilential scourge and should burn in hell. I have to admit, this is a new diagnosis for me. Sounds miserable.

6 Likes

There’s also some brain-eating thing found in the ■■■■■ dark areas under cottages in my area. Not sure if related to that brain-eating mouse poop.

edit: Are you F’ing kidding me, I can’t say the word … well. I can’t… rhymes with ‘hoist’ … wow… just wow.

it also makes your hair do weird stuff…

6 Likes

> Encephalitis can cause confused thinking, seizures, and problems with senses or movement, but is only rarely serious.

um, how exactly would you define ''serious" exactly then?

2 Likes

the original culprit was cats

Well beer can do most of those too.

1 Like

AIUI, you’re very unlikely to die from it, or to suffer permanent damage, and you get a lifelong immunity. So it’s nasty, but it’s not something that’s going to kill or cripple you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.