Tie doesn't go to the runner. There are no ties

A play may look like a tie, even in super slo-mo replay, but there must have been some microscopic, even quantum, victory in the race to the base, and it’s the umpire’s responsibility to make that call

3 Likes

Hey, that’s my Tigers, but yeah.

2 Likes

One rule describes how a batter/runner can be put out BEFORE he reaches base. Another describes how he has the right to a base if he IS NOT PUT OUT BEFORE reaching it. It’s two ways of saying the same thing. The rules do not conflict with each other. The notion of a tie is something somebody just made up and has gained traction since the invention of instant replay. Stick to the actual words in the rules.

2 Likes

Out, or out not.
There is no tie.

4 Likes

Shit, I have enough trouble figuring out Who’s on first. Whether they’re safe is way beyond my comprehension.

3 Likes

No, he’s on third. /s

3 Likes

Triple dead heats happen once in a very great while.

June 11, 1944
Brownie… Bossuet… Wait a Bit… these three horses, ridden by Eddie Guerin, Jimmy Stout, and Gayle Smith, respectively, made turf history before 25,386 rain-coated Aqueduct customers yesterday when they finished in a triple dead heat in the 46th running of the $10,000 added Carter Handicap, seven-furlong attraction of the day which was run in 1:23 2-5 over a track fetlock deep in slop.

The first triple dead heat in harness racing: Patchover, Payne Hall, and Penny Maid at Freehold Raceway (USA), 1953

One of the rarest feats in all of sport took place in Yakima on May 12, 1996 at Yakima Meadows when THREE horses hit the finish line simultaneously making it just the 7th triple dead heat in over 195 years!

At the time, the three-way tie that occurred on the grounds at State Fair Park (the grandstand and dirt track still exist to this day) was just the 7th triple dead heat in horse racing history. Since that unlikely day in '96, there have been just two more – one occurring in 2009 at The Meadows in Pennsylvania and, most recently, in 2014 at Evangeline Downs in Louisiana.

The three horses, Fly Like A Angel, Allihavonztheradio and Terri After Five, forced SIX exacta payouts for bettors.

7 Likes

The phrase “ties go to the runner” comes from sandlot baseball games where an umpire isn’t present. So basically it’s a rule for little kids playing in vacant lots or grassy fields.

3 Likes

In football, rule number one is “the referee is always right”. If the referee is wrong, see rule 1.

2 Likes

Isn’t simultaneity not a real thing in general relativity?

1 Like

Simultaneity is totally a thing in GR… provided you pick your frame of reference correctly.

1 Like

You’re not out until you are out.

You’re out in a force situation where if you are forced out before you are safe.

If you are safe, you cannot be forced out.

If you’re not out until you are put or forced out, and you cannot be forced out or put out if you are safe, your state is “not out” as a default.

Therefore, if we don’t know what happened, whether you were forced/put out , or made it safe, because it is impossible to tell what happened first, we have to assume status quo, which is, not out, safe.

Tie goes to the runner.

2 Likes

this almost broke my brain, but I like it

1 Like

It’s just weird that a former MLB umpire isn’t able to draw the inferences from the rules.

1 Like

Not just any MLB ump, either.

The only games I ever umped were college intramural and beer-league softball, but like in real games I listened to the sound of the ball and watched the bag. If you see the foot hit before you hear the ball, the runner’s safe. If it seems simultaneous you pick randomly and then defend the call like you’ve never been so sure of anything in your life

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.