Tiki bar pulls thousands of dollars from ceiling and walls, donates it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/17/tiki-bar-pulls-thousands-of-do.html

14 Likes

The good Thanos. :smiley:

(Yeah, I know, he probably gets that on the regular, all the more since the movie, but booyah to him and his bar for turning an embarrassment of success into a wonderful thing. More people like Michael Thanos in the world please.)

14 Likes

Good on them. It was getting to be a fire hazzard.

8 Likes

There’s always money in the cabana stand.

25 Likes

Used to live on Encinal in Alameda, it was a short walk over to the Forbidden I. I went mostly when I had the cash to drink the expensive umbrella drinks, it’s a real hoot. Also try the Lucky 13 on Park & Encinal, always a great time.

14 Likes

Not to diminish the quirkiness or generosity, but tacking up bills in bars is apparently not uncommon, and neither is donating the proceeds.

Saw the same done when I visited the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key.

8 Likes

A bar in my grandmothers home town in Arizona did the same thing, but instead of donating it to charity the owner was using it as a way to launder money.

8 Likes

4 Likes

The explanation I heard for how this practice originated in dockside bars (like the nearby Heinold’s Saloon in Jack London Square) was that sailors heading out for a months-long deployment wanted to know that they’d be able to grab a drink immediately on return without having to run to a bank to cash their paychecks first. So they’d leave a dollar tacked to the wall behind the bar with their name written on it with the intent of spending it after a long and often dangerous tour of duty.

In those cases, the presence of the aging bills is a haunting memorial of sorts to the sailors who didn’t come back.

22 Likes

Forbidden Island is nice… if too dark for recording video: (on my cheap camera) St. James Infirmary Blues

3 Likes

I am lucky that this is my corner bar. Loving the choices to donate to, and looking forward to watching the ceiling get filled up again.

10 Likes

I’ve seen similar news on multiple bars over the years so yeah it’s not original but it doesn’t have to be. Sounds like a neat bar though, i know there’s a couple of tiki bars where i live but they’re all crazy expensive because it’s Austin. Pretty much of all of the cocktail places are boujee and i don’t have that kind of money.

4 Likes

Can confirm that tiki bars in the Bay Area are also overly expensive.

5 Likes

The Arrested Development video:

7 Likes

Nice to see my local Tiki bar made it on Boing Boing!

6 Likes

Came here for this reference.

2 Likes

I used to live in Alameda just over a mile from there. How did I never know about this?

ETA ah, it opened a few years after I left/escaped. Carry on.

4 Likes

China Clipper calling Alameda.
China Clipper calling Alameda.

2 Likes

Forbidden Island is a truly great bar, and one of the things I miss about the Bay Area. I’m glad to hear they’re continuing to prosper.

3 Likes

Not only that, they know how to mix a proper Suffering Bastard, a great drink.

4 Likes