Tim Cook offered Steve Jobs a sliver of his liver

Who do you think he is? Karl Landsteiner?

A large number of people never give blood. According to this red cross page 38% of Americans are eligible to give blood but only 10% do and of those people: 19 percent donate occasionally, 31 percent are first-time donors, and 50 percent are regular, loyal donors.

The laws in Australia are stupid re: gay donors as well, but at least we’ve had the ‘after 12 months of no sex’ policy for a while. The same rules apply for anyone who has been tattooed in the last 12 months. In the case of someone like Tim Cook who (presumably) is disease free and has a sole partner whom is also (presumably) disease free, I’d encourage gay men to just lie on the form. If you absolutely know it’s clean then why not?

I should really go again and donate. Last time I went they turned me away because I was 1% off the minimum Iron level for donors and they sent me off with a letter that had to be signed by a doctor before I could donate again, which really shat me off because I skipped lunch to go there and had I eaten lunch I may well have not been low on iron :stuck_out_tongue:

@Aloisius in Australia they give you a card as well. I’ve lost mine and I also have forgotten my blood type. It’s to “prove” that you’re you and to easily find you in their system. There’s no money for donating, but you get some juice and a cookie. The only group of people who actively know their blood type are motorbike riders, which is a great testimonial of why you shouldn’t ride a motorbike if you value your life.

Try being O- The Universal Donor. The blood donation organizations will hound you night and day to donate. They will beg, they will plead, they will promise your special blood will go only to small babies. And you will never ever forget your blood type.

1 Like

Indeed. As a purely tactical move, I told them I was gay. Works for men in the USA anyways. I actually want to give blood, but the paperwork and screening process is byzantine.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.