Tim Cook's claim Hong Kong app was 'used maliciously to target individual officers for violence' sounds like BS, say Apple watchers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/10/apple-ceo-tim-cooks-claim-th.html

7 Likes

Remember when they promised that opening up trade with China would liberalize their society and make them more like us?

8 Likes

Um, that didn’t happen, just for the record…

3 Likes

No, in fact, it’s going to eventually make our society more like theirs. Speaking of, how’s your social credit score? Also, I saw a copy of your facial map earlier today.

Have a nice day!

4 Likes

Well, what Cook says is that HK or Chinese authorities told him the app was being used this way. And if Apple is going to ban apps used for crime, it’d be kind of fucked up if they didn’t base that determination on what local law enforcement told them. So if he’d said “I have doubts about these claims, but if local police say an app is putting lives in danger we can’t just ignore that”, then I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

But he didn’t say that, he reported the Chinese claims as settled fact. Which implies (a) he’s not willing to even acknowledge that there’s an ethical question, and (b) Apple has no plans to examine that question and potentially review their decision.

I don’t hold with the whole McDonalds-must-sell-bacon-in-saudi-arabia school of internet dipshitry. But there are places and times where listening only to the authorities is itself a political stance. There’s not always a fence to sit on. At the very least I think Apple could afford to let Tim Cook say that he thinks this is a bullshit move even if he’s not in a position to refuse.

5 Likes

Then you’ll be need a cyber hug.

5 Likes

Tim Cook’s claim Hong Kong app was ‘used maliciously to target individual officers for violence’

3 Likes

I was hearing that song and dance in the early 1980s, when I first started seeing products with familiar American brand names on the front and “Made in China” on the back. I didn’t believe it then, and I sure as hell don’t believe it now.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Some climate protesters are talking about adopting HK methods. They could use this app.

Courage is for headphone jacks; not for politics, eh Tim?

5 Likes

It would actually be more respectable if he just admitted that China has them over a barrel with their thuggery and that Apple is dead without their Chinese supply chain, so they have to comply.

Not very respectable, but better than pretending to hold the high ground.

4 Likes

He IS in a position to refuse. He always is, and always was, in a position to refuse.

He didn’t because reasons. (Hint: $$$)

4 Likes

Tim Cook’s claim Hong Kong app was ‘used maliciously to target individual officers for violence’ sounds like BS, say Apple watchers

Pfffft! Like I’d listen to anyone who owns an Apple watch!

1 Like

Tim Kook sides against free people.

In a touching show of solidarity with the NBA and Blizzard, Apple completely caves to China on HK protest app

2 Likes

Well said.

If you’re going to do business in other countries, you need to abide by their laws.

If you don’t like their laws, do the American thing.

Hire a shit ton of lobbyists and take politicians to steak dinners and yacht trips.

We’ll soon see freedom everywhere!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.