Time Lapse of US land seizure

[Permalink]

1 Like

Well, that is certainly American and Exceptional.

1 Like

This map omits Alaska.

2 Likes

I’m amused by the way California (save the deserts) is “Indian Homeland” right up until the 1850s, when it’s invaded by America.

Here in the LA area , the local indigenous people (the few that had survived the missions) were mostly working as vaqueros on the vast Mexican land-grant ranchos at that time, or providing chain-gang labor to work off public-intoxication arrests (for which they were paid in aguardiente at the end of their weekly sentence).

Yeah, everything would have been just peachy in the ol’ Indian Homeland if those Exceptional Americans hadn’t invaded.

6 Likes

Why not call it what it is, a genocide map. European conquest lead to the extermination of 15 million native Americans and about 100 million throughout the entire continent.

Where’s the holocaust museum for that?

3 Likes

Victors get to write the history books, as well as create the memorials. If they don’t want to remember it, they can just leave that part out.

I can’t even imagine a way to rectify that today. To most people it’s just boring old history that doesn’t matter anymore.

1 Like

Yeah but most of it was unintentional, or rather not from direct actions.

It’s hard to maintain a hold on your land when 80-90% of your population dies off from disease. This world would be a very different one had Native Americans not been ravaged by disease. I’m utterly fascinated with the “what if” of having the Indians make contact and adopt the new technology and ideas brought by the Europeans, but retained control of their lands and culture. How many smaller “countries” would North America be made up of?

I really find this map very interesting. You can even use it to find specific tribes. I’m Pottawatomie and the band I belong to is known as the Citizen Band. We were the first tribe to take US citizenship, hoping having rights as citizens would help in future land agreements (spoiler, not so much). Coincidentally I am leaving in about 30 min for a 5 hour trip to Oklahoma where the tribe holds the annual “family reunion”. I’m finally getting my kiddo officially enrolled.

4 Likes

This process went slower in Canada, mostly because the north wasn’t considered prime real estate until recently, but it is still ongoing, with the government consistently even as we speak, trampling upon and ignoring the rights guaranteed the first nations under treaties.

3 Likes

Yes, people died of disease. People being worked to death in the silver mines and plantations of the Americas died of disease. Cash crops like tobacco, sugar, cotton and cocoa as well as the extermination of the buffalo meant that men, women and children died of hunger and malnutrition. Holocaust denial is widespread in the United States.

4 Likes

And nobody anywhere else that was a native of that wherever it was ever lost their land either. It’s called history for a reason. It is stuff that happened. The same kind of thing, the ebb and flow of peoples has gone on for thousands of years. This is just a larger scale example.

Hey, has anyone seen those Neandertal people that were here a while back? Now I see nothing but us Cro-Magnons.

1 Like

This is why it’s so easy for nonthinking Americans to support Israel.

2 Likes

You make rapacious, racist, religiously justified theft and genocide sound like a natural process, instead of the selfish and self-justifying land- and resource-grab that it was.

4 Likes

So what? It is what it is

Is that what you’d also say to the cops and then the judge and jury, after shooting your neighbor,burning down his house, and then stealing his car?

2 Likes

They’re still at it:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/washingtons-militarized-land-grabs-targeting-the-sioux-indian-reservation-in-south-dakota/5388555

2 Likes

Not the same. Done now. Have a nice day.

The face of Manifest Destiny…

2 Likes

I’m guessing Alaska and Hawaii were omitted not because of their location, but because of the timeline on this map. Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867, and then the gold rush hit in 1897. Alaska didn’t become a U.S. state until January 3, 1959.

Here’s a group of Tlingit men and boys in Auk Village, Juneau - 1887.
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/cdmg21/id/10937/rec/8

Also, here’s a picture titled “Auk Indians & Cabins” Juneau, 1887
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/cdmg21/id/2183/rec/16

Hawaii also became a state in 1959 on August 21. In 1887, Hawaii was converting over from a monarchy to a democracy because of the influence of their own monarchy interacting with people from foreign lands. That was the year that they enacted the “Constitution of the Kingdom of Hawaii” also known as the “Bayonet Constitution”.

3 Likes

Seems like 1867 would fit into the timeline. California didn’t became a territory until 1848.

It’s an still an informative visualization, it’s just missing some pieces.

…And thanks for mentioning Hawaii, that’s an important bit of history.

2 Likes

Native Indians won’t have anything left in the future. :frowning: