Timelapse of bioluminescent mushrooms

Originally published at: Timelapse of bioluminescent mushrooms | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I got the same thing on the main page, but the link above works. Maybe he only posted the link to the bbs as a special treat for us. :wink:

3 Likes

Must be fixed now. The link above was broken earlier.

4 Likes

Did you pick option #3?

3 Likes

Apparently

4 Likes

Oxyluciferin is not a particular compound so much as a role – the term luciferin refers to any compound that is oxidized to an oxyluciferin that emits visible light. Different organisms have found completely different chemicals that work, and many of them are still unknown. The fungal luciferin was actually just worked out this last decade, and its functions are still be investigated, since some luminescent fungi only glow on the non-spore-forming parts.

Even where they are known, there is still lots to learn too. The most common luciferin in the ocean in coelenterazine, in part since so many animals can obtain it from their food. It’s not well known what actually produces it though. Some crustaceans like calanoids, but the oldest luciferase enzymes evolved before them, so it’s still being investigated too.

It’s an area where there is a lot still to be found out. Here is hoping some of it leads to being able to grow your own night lights. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Very Lovecraftian.

3 Likes

Timelapse of bioluminescent mushrooms
Mushlapse of timeluminescent biorooms
Biolapse of mushluminescent time-rooms

7 Likes

I wanna go too.

4 Likes

So if you ate them would you … uh …maybe see them glow again some time?

4 Likes

Tell me about it!?

Any post that uses the word “bioluminescence” is clickbait…

It’s just organic stuff turning the lights on FFS!

Gnomic, even

2 Likes

Clearly KingGhidorah just ate them. But I’m all for the mushluminescent time-rooms.

3 Likes

doctor who tardis GIF

3 Likes

Putting the Fun in Fungi.

2 Likes

yeah. no thanks. let’s just go outside and look.

2 Likes

I wonder what sorts of insects are attracted by these strange, eldritch lights?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.