Tiny anti-snorning gadget for sleep apnea

I’m pretty sure nasal septal necrosis is only a risk for pre-term infants. At least, everything I can pull up involves only pre-term infants. Which makes sense, their noses are tiny and delicate, their skin is delicate, and their immune systems deficient.
The adult nose-masks are quite soft and don’t actually go far into the nose. A few millimeters at most. They are more like these weird little pillows. A lot of the nose-masks don’t go in the nose at all, just seal around it.

1 Like

Those do exist! This is the one I use
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/masks/airfit-p10.html

Right, most of the time you’ll get nasal pillows. (What you’re describing.). Nasal prongs exist, and they only go in your nose, not around it (and slightly in) like the pillow style.

The other problem with prongs is the jet of air is being stuffed right in your nose, which is not as “natural” as the indirect jets from masks

1 Like

Ick, They sound terrible

Love love love the solar roadways project and think it is going to change our lives. Do not dis the solar roadways!!!

Solar roadways + Google Cars = yes

Just to chime in, yes, call the CPAP company and get a proper fitting and proper machine. It has not changed my life completely, but I like it much better than I thought.

I use a face mask that just fits over the nose with heated tubing and a humidifier.

I decided to move forward with the CPAP after reading it could help control asthma without additional medicines.

My company calls this an air pillow. I’m supposed to get one to try out, but the lady at the company said it shoots the air directly up your nose instead of just around your nose as the nose mask versions do. Sleep dr. says some people really prefer it as it is less gadget around the head.

1 Like

I loved the idea of the solar roadway. I want to make my driveway out of solar roadway panels. But it only takes a little bit of thinking about it to come up with multiple reasons why it is currently not even remotely feasible to replace all the roads in America, like the solar roadway folks want to do. I always like to link people to this article at Jalopnik or this ExtremeTech article that talk about some of the challenges that don’t seem to be addressed.

Actually last night was my best night with it yet! :slight_smile: Maybe it was all the positive vibes I got off of this thread? heheh

2 Likes

Hey folks, one or two of you mentioned the Z1 CPAP machine. Question – the product page doesn’t mention a humidifier as being either built-in, or an option. Does it have one? Thanks! They appear to have a new Auto CPAP model, which looks slick. I’ll def. ask my sleep doctor about it…

Thanks!

http://www.thecpapshop.com/innomed-nasalair-replacement-cannula?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtaexBRCohZOAoOPL88oBEiQAr96eSBRqi8Rc34xSn6WLic7vJcd-Y2G0oczHEmRoME6cmEcaAlsi8P8HAQ
Those look pretty inferior to the ones on this project in terms of both seal and comfort.

Yeah, they’re pulled up into the nose by a headgear anchored on the forehead.

The “nasal pillows” are almost the same, but they’re anchored on the cheekbone, which doesn’t pull them into the nose directly… more just sits on your upper lip with nubs that protrude into your nose while sealing around the outside.

The nasal pillows are also potentially irritating to your nose like nasal prongs are, but not as much? Also, mask technology has started to update a lot quicker as testing for OSA is getting easier and more recommended (see home sleep tests, smaller computers, more understanding of what OSA symptoms are, etc.)

1 Like

I’ve noticed the benefits of using it are kinda gradual at first, in part due to getting used to the whole set up. I think this is a big contributor to why people give up on CPAPs, not enough of a result for the hassle. But once I’d been using it for a while, I missed a night. I could tell the next morning and day exactly how much better my sleep had become. It was like descending into a fog after having been up in high clear air. It makes a big difference in my sleep, and I have “mild” sleep apnea. I’ve also gotten used to not snoring (which my husband likes a lot). Now, if I don’t use the mask or it slips off, and I snore, I wake my self up :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thank you for the reminder and words of support. I had a preexisting appointment with my Dr today and was going to ask about cpap and then promptly forgot. As soon as I saw your message I sent my Dr a message to get the ball rolling.

2 Likes

“Full pressure” for CPAPs is not as high as you think.

The funny thing for me is, without my CPAP I breathe through my mouth 100% of nights. (And get nasty dry-mouth when the air is dry.) With my nose-pillow CPAP, my mouth stays closed. Apparently the CPAP pressure is enough for me to get all the air I need through my nose only.

2 Likes

http://makezine.com/2015/10/23/metamason-wins-3d-printing-competition-with-customizable-cpap-masks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=%24{feed}&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+%24{makezineonline}+(%24{MAKE})&utm_content=%24{GoogleReader}

Aside from what’s in the links posted in @WearySky’s reply, there are other issues. The LEDs simply won’t fulfill their intended purpose during the day. The sun is too bright. If you calculate the energetics, I seriously doubt you’ll find a way for them to be energy efficient. Compared to sun-following panels, or panels that aren’t carrying an unfortunate amount of darkening traffic and tree shade, they amount of energy you get out of them is abysmal. Then there’s serious durability issues with glass. Rocks and dirt will mar the surface, further limiting what light can reach the panels within. The alternative, using something much higher up on the hardness scale, is cost-prohibitive in the extreme. Too many problems that need solving with technology no one has yet.

1 Like

I live in the world of high tech development, so all of that seems solvable to me. You just gotta go one step at a time. They have a great vision and I want to see how far they can go. Even the in-between steps, like doing parking lots, have a lot of exciting potential.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.