Silence your snoring with this incredibly simple device

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/19/silence-your-snoring-with-this.html

1 Like

Uhm, no, CPAP masks are not “oxygen” masks. They are just regular air, supplied at a slight pressure to help keep your airways splinted open while you sleep. This helps people with obstructive sleep apnea, of which snoring is a common symptom, get uninterrupted sleep throughout the night.

Waking someone up completely, or partially, can reduce snoring, but that will interrupt their sleep. I doubt device that deliberately interupts one’s sleep is a healthy long term solution, even if promoted by “taste makers”.

Edit:
$359??? :open_mouth:

You can buy a good used CPAP for that much money… :-/

11 Likes

I just think about climate crisis articles. It’s free, and I just stop sleeping.

1 Like

It doesn’t sound “incredibly simple” and if it were incredibly simple I wouldn’t expect it to be sporting a $359 price tag. But if “tastemakers” like Oprah are involved, I can see why it does.

I move my pillows all over the place. Sometimes one of our dogs will push his way up until he’s sleeping on our pillows. He might enjoy the ride. Finally, both me and my wife snore. Can it tell who is doing the snoring?

3 Likes

Why chose a pic of a guy in bed with his daughter?

(I get so sick of the old-guy/young-woman thing. It’s almost never the other way around.)

10 Likes

This is the kind of pseudo-scientific horseshit I’d expect to see on Dr. Oz.

2 Likes

I suspect this method would be highly dependent on your anatomy, how you sleep (side or back or stomach), how much you weigh, and probably a bunch of other things. If you snore get a sleep study if possible. Or at least get someone to see if you stop breathing while you sleep. If so, CPAP is the only way to prevent it.

–biomedical engineer w/sleep apnea

8 Likes

No. Get a diagnosis and treat it properly.

2 Likes

I think you’re projecting. If you look carefully, her hair is greying and the dark circles around her eyes are largely obscured by makeup. In my estimation she looks about 5-10 years younger than him (although they may well be the same age). Even at 10 years younger, that’s not nearly young enough to be his daughter.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah! That was my reaction too. How much do Breathe Right strips cost?

1 Like

CPAP isn’t the only way to treat obstructive sleep apnea, but it is the gold standard that has the best outcome for most people. Other treatments include mandibular advancement devices that you wear in your mouth at night to change the position of your lower jaw while you sleep, positional therapy (typically using methods to keep you sleeping on your side if you happen to have positional obstructive sleep apnea), weight loss (for people who’s fat distribution impacts on their airways) and surgery (which can have negative side effects, and frequently doesn’t work in the long term). People who snore should definitely ask their doctor if they should be tested for sleep apnea. Snoring is strongly correlated with obstructive sleep apnea.

2 Likes

I was expecting duct tape.

3 Likes

To me, they both look to be in their late 40s or maybe early 50s. The difference is, older men can let their hair go gray.

3 Likes

Obligatory Simpsons, they even threw in the (BB favourite) privacy topic!

I have something kind of like that except it’s an elbow that gently jabs me in the ribs.

4 Likes

In the winter, check the humidity in your bedroom. I’ve managed to get the furnace humidifier working well enough that I don’t wake up with “sandpaper sinuses”, but it’s still very dry. Three nights ago I added a room humidifier and that seems to make a nice difference.

I couldn’t tell you if it made a snoring difference. I should rig a Pi to monitor that along with temp and humidity.

1 Like

That sounds better than a competing device that works by raising and lowering a pillow over the face, gently pressing until the breathing snoring fit stops. :thinking:

2 Likes

A less dramatic trick: give a little whistle.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.