Tiny Paper Dungeons: pocket-sized, spiral-bound, randomly-generated paper adventures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/14/tiny-paper-dungeons-pocket-sized-spiral-bound-randomly-generated-paper-adventures.html

7 Likes

A related topic/question: I have never done anything like make an RPG on paper or even play an RPG. But my kids would love this. Does anyone have guidance on where to start with something light like this?

4 Likes

DriveThruRPG has a genre filter for Family Gaming that will give you a list of Tabletop RPGs that are great for kids. Hero Kids and Amazing Tales are both popular.

On the more boardgame side of things, I got Zombie Kidz Evolutions for my niblingst this year and it has been a big hit.

5 Likes

Aaaaand…kicked in for three of them. This looks brilliant, and the dice aspect makes it replayable. Maybe I’ll try drawing light enough to erase.

Do have two ideas that could make this better, though:

• Dry-erase versions
  • Choose-your-own-adventure-style multiple exits to different floors on each floor
4 Likes

Aaaaaand… I’m in as well. You are a bad influence. :grin:

2 Likes

Pledged!

Looks like just the thing for light-duty gaming.

Stefan

2 Likes

Update:

@frauenfelder There was a trademark dispute! They had to change the product name to “Paper Apps: Dungeons!”

1 Like

Cut and tape some cellophane (or overhead transparency material) to form a tight sleeve for the book. Open the book to the required adventure, slide the sleeve over the whole thing, and there’s your dry-erase version.

3 Likes

Also you can use pilot frixion pens which vanish when warmed by rubbing.

But it would be cooler if these were printed on water proof paper. I use a hardware store waterproof notebook for daily notes with Frixion pens and just wipe them clean with a damp cloth when I’m through.

edit: read a bit farther and realized each notebook is unique, so maybe the replay value wouldn’t really be enough to warrant an erasable?

3 Likes

I tried that once using page protector sheets, but the dry-erase markers seemed to slightly dissolve them, leaving permanent streaks.

2 Likes

I am a big user of overhead transparency pens, but I mainly use the wet-erase variety. They work well on the right kind of plastic medium, but not all; for example, on some laser-printable overhead transparency sheets the ink does not come completely out. Apparently one has to mate the pen to the plastic. Fortunately, I am the last dinosaur in my department who still uses overhead transparencies, so I have plenty of the really old, high quality sheets we have left all to myself.

2 Likes

Damn you, Mark. In for too many of them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.