Tiny videocamera worn by an insect

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/17/tiny-videocamera-worn-by-an-in.html

4 Likes

If you used a hercules beetle you could probably mount a full-size VHS camcorder to its back.

hercules

15 Likes
18 Likes

And then the beetles unionised.

6 Likes

Dammit! First thing I thought of. . .

5 Likes

Work in progress…

4 Likes

aldish

4 Likes

Actual video bugs. We are ware past the point where you can see the cameras and know you are being recorded.

4 Likes

Beetle held by clamp, “Let me down.”

1 Like

The signal isn’t very good. Maybe they need to adjust the antennae.

17 Likes

No mention though weather the insects where gender-categorized with their consent and/or any social distancing concepts where implemented …

On a side note: Who holds the copyright for the footage shot by a beetle roaming freely outdoors?

Have you tried the roboroach from Backyard Brains?
https://backyardbrains.com/products/roboroach

1 Like

“This technology can be used to study insects in the field.”

Yyyyyyyyyyyeah. That’s… that’s what we’ll use it for, all right.

6 Likes

So I’ve used electronic backpacks on flying grasshoppers that are less than half the weight of their beetle setup (the attached picture is of a wireless backpack that is recording activity of individual visual neurons of the grasshopper). They can fly just fine with the weight. The camera part of their setup is only ~40 mg (the battery is always the heaviest thing). It could definitely be mounted on a locust or similarly-sized flying insect.

10 Likes

Are the specs for that kind of setup published anywhere?

2 Likes

The first version of the board in my pic was described in a 2011 Neuron article (attached)
Fotowat, harrison & gabbiani, 2011.pdf (2.0 MB)

Reid (the engineer who designed it) has since started his own company, but there is more money in wired devices so I don’t think he’s building new wireless ones

The pinnacle of his tiny, insect wireless stuff was a 30mg supercapacitor-charged dragonfly backpack. There are a ton of technical issues with getting good stable signals with these things though, so I don’t think that version was ever published.

9 Likes

Ah, he’s designing his own ASICs it looks like? Tres interesting!

Edit: I worked for an EEG-based BCI company many years ago, so my fascination is extra-tickled. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe this view of the chip is more interesting to you:
Along the outside of the board are inputs for neural signals (EEG would work fine)

8 Likes

“The cameras can be used to study insects in the wild.”

And the other insects are all like: “Jim! What the eff is that thing on your back?”. And Jim is all like: “Dunno, Man… It just sorta appeared there.”

3 Likes

And there’s data recording right on there? Or is that what the “wire” is for?