Tips for packing a carry-on

Piggy-backing on your advice, which I used to follow and still do, to a degree: Every other year I spend about six weeks visiting my wife’s family in Europe. I’ve found that there’s a lot of clothes out there made from synthetic materials that look good enough for restaurants but that can also be hand-laundered in a pinch. Basically any quick-drying stuff. This stuff packs smaller and, being easily laundered, well, you need less changes. I can get by for six weeks with what I put in a carry-on rolling bag and whatever fits in my medium-size (9 liter) lumbar pack. (BTW, I know lumbar packs aren’t so fashionable, but I’ve found that a good one is awesome for long day hikes–we sometimes do 15K and as much as 1,000 meter elevation change–because they also provide back support.)

Edit: bad > bag

3 Likes

I LOVE making up outfits for a trip and mixing in something new or unusual. Since you’ll be in a new place doing something different, enjoy it :slight_smile:

But reducing and streamlining is fun too. She didn’t mention going back and maybe taking one item out of each pouch/clothing category. Leave it behind. Except socks and underwear, ADD one there.

1 Like

Anyway imo those rolly carry on bags are actually huge and pretty unwieldy. A backpack only is good for a week, and it works with her folding style. Take a lightweight cloth bag for shopping or laundry or just for a change of handbag.

1 Like

They feel different, which you have to get used to, but not only do they pack better, they also dry a LOT faster.

Of course, most places that people go – when they’re not hitchhiking through the galaxy – they’ll be staying somewhere that provides towels.

2 Likes

The KonMar method - that’s this weird test that you can only pass by rigging the simulation, isn’t it?

1 Like

It helps the clothing kling onto the bag.

1 Like

Muji parcels. Little sort of various sized washbags - they’re quite slim, and rectangular, and wonderful.

All the key stuff I’ll need on the plane, I have in one, and just pull it and slide it into the magazine holder. Kindle, headphones, gum, massage tool etc!

Other stuff - wires, connectors – in nice containers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.