‘Tis the season for 'Chicago dibs' on snow-shoveled parking spaces

Doesn’t seem to happen here, but it’s illegal to park in the street in snow until the plows have cleared it. They tow any cars blocking the way, plow it, and then everyone can park without having to shovel. Much more efficient. Except for the people who got their cars towed.

Considering some of the streets in Boston, and the lack of off-street parking, the resulting traffic jam of dozens of tow trucks trying to operate within a ‘street’ the size of a narrow alley would probably make that impractical.

But where do the cars go until the streets are plowed?

2 Likes

This reminds me (vaguely) of table saving at crowded restaurants with a long line to wait to order. People with friends have them save a table. This results in large numbers of tables being hogged people who are not eating creating a sort of artificial table shortage for people who actually just got their food and need to sit down.

Both the table saving and the parking dibs are based on hoarding scarce resources, but also making them more scarce by keeping the resource out of use. It’s a spiral of increasing scarcity as more people try to save tables, parking spaces or whatever because others are doing it.

8 Likes

Except nobody spent hours of backbreaking physical labor to get that table. But yeah, I do get your analogy.

4 Likes

True, hence the “vaguely”.

2 Likes

As someone originally from the Pittsburgh region, this is not “unique”…

I always got sad to see someone’s dibs furniture was nicer than anything I had in the house.

6 Likes

As an Australian, my response to this phenomenon is as follows:

LOL.

4 Likes

I’m sure they do Chicago dibs anywhere where it snows a lot and people have to park on the street. It just happens to be named after a particular city. Kind of like the Baltimore doorbell, only they do that everyfuckinwhere.

1 Like

I’ve never heard that turn of phrase. Is that like ding-dong-ditch, or is that honking from the street?

2 Likes

Honking from the street.

2 Likes

Ahh, in Kansas we just call it, “Somebody’s Honking”.

2 Likes

Please let this be a euphemism like Chicago sunroof.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.