It's Eid al-Fitr

Originally published at: Today is Eid al-Fitr | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Selamat Hari Raya!

4 Likes

Hunger is the best seasoning. Community is a close second.

12 Likes

Eid Mubarak!

7 Likes

HUG HIM AGAIN!!!

5 Likes

Eid Mubarak, indeed! I was in Morocco for the end of Ramadan, once, and it was quite the party.

I’m quite intrigued by @dnealy’s brief mention of Thanksgiving, there. I grew up with a fairly religious American Mum so we always celebrated it (albeit on the weekend) and it was sort of explained to me as a ‘thanking God for our good fortune’ sort of deal. I’ve always got the feeling that many churches definitely chose to celebrate Thankgiving in a similarly spiritual or religious frame of mind, but I’m similarly aware that plenty of religious types also approach football games and awards ceremonies as opportunities to invoke their God, too, so…

Anyway, though I have dual nationality I’m still enough of an outsider that I don’t thoroughly understand all American customs - I just recognise some of them. Is Thanksgiving officially Christian? Or unofficially, perhaps? Or even officially unreligious? Sorry to go off-topic, but genuinely intrigued by the subject, and how Devin and others may be able to observe it or not!

5 Likes

What a tune! I want to hear this covered by Lady Parts.

3 Likes

That would be great… but you should check out their bandcamp page. Wild Nights in Guantanamo is a great album…

3 Likes

From Ms. Marvel!

6 Likes

So, my experience as a Muslim is relatively new as I officially converted in 2019. As soon I converted, the pandemic happened in less than six months, so this is really my first Eid with people.

In regards to your question, there are a couple of reasons why Muslims may abstain from Thanksgiving.

1.)Certain sects avoid emulating non believers across the board. They don’t wear the clothing styles, watch the movies, listen to the music or celebrate the holidays of people that don’t follow Islam.

2.)Sometimes it’s cultural. Their family just doesn’t have the tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving and don’t want to start.

There are other reason, but those are the two most prominent ones. Some Muslims do celebrate Thanksgiving. Hell, some even celebrate Christmas by divorcing the religious significance from the holiday and focusing instead on how interwoven it is in the cultural fabric of Western life. However, these view points are deviations from traditional Islam, so I didn’t include them in the article. They’re not exactly uncommon, but they are frowned upon by tradional Islamic jurisprudence.

The media will lead you to believe that Muslims are a monolith, but Islam is a rich and varied tapestry of opinions and practices…for better or for worse.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Interesting. This movie shows a situation just like the one you described. It looks a bit like what happens in Japan. Some people celebrate it, but without the religious side (maybe except immigrants from South America and the Philippines).

2 Likes

Ramadan Eid GIF by Hike Sticker Chat

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.