Todd Haynes's Velvet Underground documentary looks to be magnificent

Agreed. Disney seems to be dragging it’s feet on DVD releases too. It makes no sense to me, as I’m sure plenty of people who do not subscribe would love to get a physical copy rather than pirate their content (especially the pre-established properties like Marvel). I have no problem paying for content, but how about make it easy to access rather than hoard it like it’s gold and you’re a dragon…

Amazon is another one… Cartoon Network is also wonky about releasing DVDs of their shows. I still don’t think they have all seasons of Steven Universe out here in the states, despite the show having wrapped up a while ago now.

I know they all want to drive people to sign up for their services, but plenty of people aren’t going to, so why cut out revenue from there. Netflix, HBO, CBS, and other streams don’t seem to have an issue with this… Basically the streaming ecosystem has become just as stupid as the cable ecosystem was…

2 Likes

“The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band” – Brian Eno

2 Likes

There is a theory that MGM/Verve actually moved a lot of copies, without selling them on paper. Zappa came up with this idea for his Mothers LPs, also on Verve. He thought he saw evidence of either massive theft from the warehouse, or chicanery on the part of the label.

A friend of mine found an OG copy of the first LP recently in a thrift store, still had the (slightly damaged) banana sticker on front.

2 Likes

omg, i DREAM of finding such a thing in a thrift or garage sale!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.