Toilets that you have to use an app to get into

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/06/toilets-that-you-have-to-use-a.html

8 Likes

What problem is this solving? Other than keeping the homeless from using your bathrooms? (A real problem in SF I gather)

9 Likes

Good2Go

Yes, Good2Go…

The problem is that there is not enough human excreta in public sidewalks, alleys, stairwells, etc. This app will solve that problem.

30 Likes

That’s a crap app.

13 Likes

The Juiceroo of toilets.

Oh, there’s a mind image that going to linger.

7 Likes

So you use a key to make an impression in a…?

4 Likes

I’m sure that’s their primary “making the world a better place” selling point. Just what we need, more cities like SF where affluent tech bros and creative class types share the pavement with angry hobos and junkies taking al fresco dumps.

9 Likes

Is this so hard?

7 Likes

anyone else notice how the word Restroom has braille under it but the rest does not. that seems especially cruel

11 Likes

I understand that its trying to stop non-patrons from using a bathroom but it seems like a really passive aggressive way of “solving the problem”. And it seems that it would hugely inconvenience paying customers, if it doesn’t offer some sort of tangible convenience for customers then this is doomed to fail.

4 Likes

That target area is kind of small, but I’m pretty sure I can hit it.

18 Likes

I sincerely hope this is a joke. If it’s real, it will fail as quickly as the pay toilet, and for the same reason.

I do think it’s fun that children several generations too young to remember the pay toilet can still scrawl, “Here I sit/Broken hearted…”

8 Likes

Not to mention the outcome if you forget your phone in your desk/office when the need is urgent.

4 Likes

Just another way to steal personal data from people.

People: The new crude oil.

9 Likes

This is going to be particularly amusing when the system breaks—and it will break—and the bathroom becomes universally inaccessible. Who looks at the world and thinks: “Yeah, what this needs is more ways it can break.”

Or, worse yet,

“What the world needs is for someone to say ‘Damn it, the toilet is rebooting for a firmware update,’ and mean it.

11 Likes

I work in physical access control. Does that make me an expert on semi-public restroom policy? No. It just means I know about electronic locks and related tech.

The first thing that caught my eye was that the branded access reader is not Braile embossed, meaning that any visually impaired patron will be “shit outta luck.”

Second, the prominence of the reader setup invites abuse. People tend to target what they can get their hands on, so unless this doorway is on CCTV, whoever doesn’t appreciate the barring of said water closet will express their disenchantment in many possible ways, most of which involve destroying the user interface.

Third, it would seem that placing your phone into a common touch area so proximate to a restroom area, and then later to your face, presents entirely new vectors for nasties like Hepatitis, etc.

27 Likes

I presume the scanning device is battery operated and It can run out. The scanning device could stop working for other reasons.What if someone vandalizes it and then other people can’t scan in? What if someone hacks it?

There’s so many possibilities for this to go awry.

2 Likes

Thought about this before i read your post. To me it definitely seems that the device could be vandalized or tampered with fairly easily.

1 Like

You’d think that the founder and CEO, Fran Heller who holds degrees in biology would know better.

Her bio:

“Prior to starting Good2Go, Fran was an executive in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries with expertise in business development, licensing and legal affairs. Most recently, she was senior vice president of business development at Bristol-Myers Squibb and a trustee of the Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation. Fran currently serves as a trustee of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute and is a member of the Board of Directors at Zafgen, Inc., a public biotech company, and Affinivax, a private early stage vaccine company. Fran serves as an adviser to Sentieon, a bioinformatics company and GoFundMe’s Impact Fund. Fran is a member of the California State Bar and licensed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. She holds a B.S. in biology from Tulane University, an M.A. in biology from American University, and a J.D. from Golden Gate University School of Law.”

2 Likes