'Tokri,' a gorgeous stop-motion short 8 years in the making

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/10/tokri-a-gorgeous-stop-mot.html

10 Likes

A tale wonderfully woven.

7 Likes

Came for wonderful thing; left satisfied.

That was gorgeous.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Another truly wonderful thing! Thanks.

5 Likes

That was really beautiful and it’s incredibly heartening to think that someone was inspired to make such a beautiful story from their own fleeting experience with child beggars at stop lights.

My only critique- for the most detailed claymation I have ever seen done they missed one tiny detail- the focal point- the watch- it had “Quartz” on the dial, which is what is typically put on battery powered watches- but that had the look and sound of a mechanical watch escapement they recorded for that. Plus the fact that the guy presenting it to the father wouldn’t have made a big deal about it with a photo if it was a quartz watch.

I don’t know, a minor annoying detail to a watchmaker- but an incredibly beautiful artwork nonetheless. If only all fathers were so kind.

6 Likes

Maybe Quartz is the brand name of the watch dial manufacturer :wink:

3 Likes

I see what you did there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is the photo of the Dad receiving the watch some specific ceremony? The fellows with the ribbons on the lapels suggest it might be.

This captures the poverty and pride of the South Asian home in exquisite detail.

In support of it working for the story line: There are knock offs sold in the bazaars. The character and whoever he inherited the watch from may have thought it to be of great value without knowing in such detail what “quartz” is supposed to mean.

I picked up a pocket watch near Inle Lake for its steampunk look, but it isn’t even on time once a day. That one’s definitely a full blown tourist trap though (well, maybe 50/50 - the food’s a little overpriced for the country but authentic). If I can find the watch, I’ll post a pic.

2 Likes

Yes, more I think of it, that too, may have been intentional.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.