Tom the Dancing Bug: A Calvinesque and Hobbesian look at campaigning

Originally published at: Tom the Dancing Bug: A Calvinesque and Hobbesian look at campaigning - Boing Boing

18 Likes

Pedro Pascal Laughing GIF by PBS SoCal

17 Likes

Luthor? Donald is looking more and more like Clayface.

12 Likes

Taylor Swift Applause GIF by MOODMAN

13 Likes
12 Likes

Voting for Kamala Harris, but I’d also vote for Suzy Derkins.

21 Likes

An undocumented alien who could do anything in the world, but chose to be a newspaper journalist.

15 Likes

i was thinking otis

8 Likes

Susie says what we are all thinking. :+1:

Also, welcome aboard, comrade! :partying_face:

Edited for clarity

11 Likes
4 Likes

Ooh, a new nickname for Vance

5 Likes

But the web already has a blogger with a cape!

cory_doctorow_award_outfit

(Or more accurately, already had a blogger with a cape at that point.)

6 Likes

There may be a physical resemblance, but at least the various people using the Clayface identity have actual tragic backstories. (Okay, maybe not Basil Karlo, but otherwise there’s a lot of “trying to cure this condition” types of accidents as well as at least one getting messed up by his parents.)

When you can’t even have the depth of character of a comic book villain, something is dreadfully wrong!

5 Likes

I asked Bolling why the comic is called “Tom the Dancing Bug.” One day in class at law school, he said, “my friend had gotten a bug on his pen, and he was swivelling the pen. The bug was moving its legs to stay on top, back and forth. And I said, ‘That’s Tom the Dancing Bug.’ ” That night, he submitted his first strip to the paper. A purist, he didn’t want it to have a title—it would be wholly different each week—but the paper insisted. “So I thought of the stupidest name I could think of, and I named it ‘Tom the Dancing Bug,’ in retaliation,” he said. “But I remember riding my bike home afterward thinking, I actually like that.”

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.