TOM THE DANCING BUG: "I Never Thought It Would Happen to Me"

[Permalink]

1 Like

OK. So Reuben have you been reading Dennisā€™s stuff and feel the need to emulate? troll? parody? Or is this sudden departure from political satire and random humor into semi-sweet adolescent reminisces just a new direction for you? Whatā€™s going on here?

4 Likes

Every Louis comic Bolling does is so painfully true.

3 Likes

Iā€™m surprisingly grateful that this comic didnā€™t start with, ā€œDear Reuben, I used to think the stories in your comic werenā€™t trueā€¦ā€

4 Likes

I was guessing sly parody (of the strip, or of the concerned citizens, Iā€™m not sure whichā€¦), myself.

Of course, being a sensitive lad, my first impression was, ā€œAww, thatā€™s so true!ā€

Funny how context and intent (?) can alter a premise.

Iā€™m probably going to be ridiculed for asking this, but:

• Is Louis dreaming about the possibility of kissing Jessica in his own personal fantasy?
  • Did Louis have some kind of encounter and is now daydreaming about it?

Either way, it sort of touched a poignant nerve, captures that way of thinking as a young teen.

As a kid, I read ā€œThe Great Brainā€ series. IIRC, In the last book, The Great Brain Does It Again, the titular character of the books gets interested in girls, and loses interest in all the pranks and swindles that made him interestingā€¦
So, it may be the end of an era for Louis.

4 Likes

Based on the Louis character, I have a pretty high degree of confidence that this is purely in the realm of deeply unrealistic fantasy

1 Like

The juxtaposition of Boingx2 posting both this and that other real world stuff comic where the guy is daydreaming about having a hot girl sit on his face is somewhat funny.

3 Likes

Talk about pain. Here I was, thinking I was the only one who had Myronā€™s sister come on to him. I thought I was special and Iā€™m not. Apparently anyone who has a school project with Myron is fair game for Jessica. Hmmmf!

1 Like

Iā€™m fairly sure Louis has fantasized about girls before. Being interested in girls doesnā€™t actually start to make you less interesting until they start to pay attention to you, and something tells me heā€™s a few years from that.

So youā€™re absolutely sure this isnā€™t how he experienced ā€˜coloring the mantleā€™ (yeah, thatā€™s a peach-pole theme) and just culminating in or esconsed in an error like every other TtDB comic?

I think itā€™s just fantasy, and the joke is more along the lines of ā€œI Never Thought it Would Happen To Meā€¦ and, in fact, it never did.ā€

1 Like

ā€¦And by the way, I actually thought about it.

Heaps.

1 Like

Wow, never heard of those before. They look great and pretty cheap on Amazon UK.

1 Like

Totally unrelated to the comic, but whenever I meet someone from Utah I canā€™t resist telling them how much I enjoyed ā€œThe Great Brainā€ books as a kid. So far everyoneā€™s rolled their eyes and said something like, ā€œYeah, we had to read them.ā€ But it seems like they enjoyed them too, and Iā€™ve had one really interesting conversation about the non-existence of Adenville, and the real town it might have been based on.

You may also enjoyā€¦

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.