TOM THE DANCING BUG: No Animals Were Harmed in the Making of This Comic Strip

Jim Benton Comics

9 Likes

I have seen ribs at craft services. Never steak though.

1 Like

I think Iā€™m going to go with yes, the former is more acceptable (less unacceptable) than the latter. I feel like if you asked this question to 100 people youā€™d have some strong feelings both ways, but I bet the majority would go with killing because you are sadistic is more repugnant than killing because you are indifferent (and lazy, in this case).

I donā€™t know how to explain why I think this.

But there is an even greater distinction with the food/movie thing. We probably draw a very significant line between not minding that you know something died and not minding watching something die. It has a very different impact on someone to read about deaths in the paper than to find the dying person on the street themselves. A person who was indifferent to the former would be actually pretty normal, a person who was indifferent to the latter would be suspected of psychopathy.

3 Likes

Ha ha!

My behavior is inconsistent!

In fairness, I feel exactly the same way about people.

Pass the Soylent Green, please.

Iā€™m sold. Switching to people a.s.a.p.

I suppose ā€œfat catsā€ would be tastiest, as per my previous statement about the Kochs.

@glyph gryph I think you make a good argument. Do I dare make the argument that morality is after all, subjective? and killing an animal for food, even if that food is more for pleasure than absolute necessity (but Iā€™d say itā€™s rarely all one or the other, but a combination of both) is ā€˜moreā€™ moral than killing an animal for entertainment purposes. Let me put it this way, I would be more comfortable, so to speak, with a movie that showed a real slaughtering and butchering of an animal that is to be used for food, than I would be with an animal being slain just to serve a plot point.

1 Like

the title contains a spoonerism as a philosophical conclusion : ā€œno farm, no howlā€.

2 Likes

The other problem is that the ā€œpureā€ vegetarian diet also requires wholesale murder to accomplish. Even neglecting the environmental impact of transforming land into a farm, there is a lot of killing that goes on to prevent the loss of the crops to pests. In some more enlightened farming, that killing is outsourced to other species, so our proxy raptors and ladybugs do some of the killing for us.

As a vegetarian (and having farm experience), I know that many creatures have died that I might live.

Of course, if you take this chain of thought to its logical conclusion, youā€™ll realize that all living creatures have to kill to exist. Iā€™ve read that the average cubic meter of air has 10 million bacteria in it ā€“ many of which are pathogenic to us, and which are neutralized by our highly efficient immune system. The water we drink has been filtered / sterilized / poisoned to kill off the microorganisms that inhabit it. Every surface we touch is swarming with microbes. We kill them (intentionally or not) so they donā€™t destroy us.

4 Likes

Iā€™m torn on meat. From what I understand, we wouldnā€™t have the brains we have today if it wasnā€™t for the past meat eating of our biological ancestors. Also, bacon tastes good. Real good.

We got brainy from feasting on meat, but now in turn our meat-enhanced brains realize that eating meat is pretty draconian and cruel (especially industrial meat production), can be unhealthy and (most importantly) is a factor in contributing to global climate change and other environmental externalities.

I think thereā€™s good arguments that say we can still nourish our brains without meat nowadays. Weā€™re now capable of using our brains to find plenty of tasty vegetarian protein out there, if weā€™d try.

But trying to separate meat from an avid meat eater isnā€™t easy especially when healthy, veggie protein can often be more expensive because our federal subsidies are all out of whack. Also, like any other addict, meat eaters tend to get hostile and defensive about their meat eating.

Anyway, you all can go to hell, Iā€™m going to go eat some chicken.

4 Likes

My issue is more with the entire meat supply industry. Our ancestors did eat meat, but probably not at the quantity we do today. So I would say we can all get by with a bit less meat.

2 Likes

Very true, I think mass, sustainable meat production went out of the window a long time ago unfortunately. I honestly think at this point weā€™d be better off moving away from it entirely and the way things are going with climate change, we may be forced to do it whether we want to or not, anyway.

The emphasis on ā€œman the hunterā€ is way overblown. ( Mainly due to gender bias in science and history, but thatā€™s another topic altogether. :wink: )

In truth, most hunter-gatherer diets revolve(d) around gathering with meat as a supplement. ( Though, there are exceptions: ex. Inuit diets. ) These days though meat is seen as the main courseā€¦ mainly because technology, antibiotics, whatnot has made raising animals so much easier.

My personal take is eating animals is fine, but the high demand is problematic. I think the demand is probably what drives all the unethical and unsafe cattle and chicken farm conditions.

2 Likes

If meat hadnā€™t been a supplement, would our brains developed as they did?

http://www.npr.org/2010/08/02/128849908/food-for-thought-meat-based-diet-made-us-smarter

1 Like

2 Likes

Harming an animal for food is harming it for a form of entertainment (or ā€˜enjoymentā€™). Itā€™s not necessary, and is explicitly done for purposes of sport or sensual pleasure.

No, heā€™s just practicing his fallacious internet arguments, clearly. Trying on ā€œfalse equivalenceā€ for size, apparently.

In focusing on the environment aspect, heā€™s apparently also ignorant of the fact that the meat industry generates more greenhouse gas than the entire fucking auto industry, much less the agricultural industryā€¦

1.) That theory is hardly unequivocal or air-tight.

2.) Even if it were true: My ancestors have done a lot of onerous shit that has in some way led to me being who I am and enjoying what privileges I enjoy. That doesnā€™t mean that I feel I have carte blanche to commit that same onerous shit. Your argument veers awfully close to the naturalistic fallacy. (Iā€™m sure those proto-humans with the still developing brains probably committed an awful lot of rape that I might not be here without. That doesnā€™t make it okay for me to be a rapistā€¦)

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen steak or ribs at craft services, but at the catering truck sure.

Iā€™m pretty sure the dogs are cool with it, at least. The only reason we started letting them hang around in the first place is that they proved useful for helping us kill other animals.

1 Like