TOM THE DANCING BUG: When Gun Proponents Go Ballistic

I think the comic is a little more inflammatory than a “logical analogy”. Sure, I get it, it’s satirical. But I don’t agree with your argument because guns and missiles are not the same thing. It’s like saying because I can come up with a stance which supports vector control and the logical analogy of that stance could also be used as a justification for extermination of all rodent species (by simply replacing the terms) then my argument for vector control is invalid.

This is a simplistic dichotomy. There are some shaky assumptions being made here.

I will admit that I’m a bit cynical over the entire debate because there is so much vitriol spewing from both sides. But I don’t see how my belief that there is a lack of civility and compromise and that I am on one side of the debate is an admission that my beliefs are irrational.

For the record, I do believe in background checks, licensing and closing of loopholes. However, I also believe in CCW and that firearms are a viable means of self defense.

I had a discussion with a co-worker about all this and he said “neither you nor I are wrong, we just have differing opinions” and left it at that. There was no debate regarding who was or was not being rational because we both know each other as rational people.