Tomorrow: largest prison strike in US history

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/08/tomorrow-largest-prison-strik.html

8 Likes

I’m going to predict this will get about as much news coverage as the strike in India.

27 Likes

Marvelous. I anticipate ineffectual attempts at suppression.
And of course, I hope for some human fucking decency to happen.

13 Likes

The revolution will not be televised.

14 Likes

Thanks to those prisoners whose tireless efforts provided the free labor to my phone company via whose device I am reading about those same prisoners’ helpless abjection before our corporate Babylon.

10 Likes

This is what they teach in prison? Shame! All the American soldiers who die fighting for our Freedom because they don’t have the helmets that prison labor would’ve produced tomorrow are on their consciences!

8 Likes

Considering what they feed prisoners in America, all the prisons have to do is make the meals so small that the choice is between starvation or work for miserable pay. But not right now. Oh, no. First they wait three months so that only the most counter-culturally dedicated (not to mention affluent enough to have the free time) are still digging up the news[1] and then do it quietly under the guise of austerity or something.

Whatever else, this will not be allowed to continue. America is addicted to undervalued labor and it will not, under any circumstances, kick the habit.

[1] One line demonstration: What’s happening in Yemen right now?

7 Likes

No no no it’s only torture when others are doing it! In the USA it’s called “freedomizing”.

10 Likes

This is the US prison system. Decency was gotten rid of long ago.

10 Likes

Needed some background on this.

14 Likes

I do know that frequently credit card companies use prisons as call centers to process nonsensitive credit card requests (for some values of ‘nonsensitive’; YMMV).

2 Likes

OH! I know this one! We’re backing a Saudi ground war against the Huthis who kicked out the utterly contempible and corrupt Saleh government a few years back. We also regularly drone bomb the hell out of the country side…

Of course, one of my MA advisers was a Ottoman/Islamic world historian, who wrote a book on Yemen and spent a lot of time there on the ground, so I’m probably unusual in paying attention.

11 Likes

Related, there is a new book out about Attica:

2 Likes

Is that like “sodomizing?”

4 Likes

Not when it’s done in the name of Capitalism!

4 Likes

Here’s the list, for those not wishing to click through 5 pages:

Whole Foods
McDonald’s
Wendy’s
Walmart
Starbucks
Sprint
Verizon Wireless
Victoria’s Secret
Fidelity Investments
JC Penney
KMart
American Airlines
Avis

I bet there are more . . .

16 Likes

Partly organized by anarchists from Atlanta. So proud! Hoping for the best.

http://theinfluence.org/a-call-to-action-against-slavery-why-were-about-to-see-the-largest-prison-strikes-in-us-history/

7 Likes

Sorry, I have to do this:

6 Likes

Full marks! :slight_smile:

I really shouldn’t have phrased it like that. Evidently some people will know it (the personally involved, the highly competent (e.g. you), and so on). What I ought to have said is “What do the news report on Yemen.”

3 Likes
4 Likes