Tonic water is fluorescent

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/03/tonic-water-is-fluorescent.html

3 Likes

Who hasn’t seen this with their Gin & Tonic at a nightclub before?

10 Likes

So is collagen, between ~340 and 395 nm excitation wavelength. That’s why Gummi Bears and Jello glow under near UV light.

6 Likes

I only noticed this last week when we put a blacklight-based fly zapper in the kitchen. Had been meaning to investigate WTF I was seeing.

5 Likes

Something every gothling learns at an early age.

4 Likes

Or taken a leak in a club bathroom after taking vitamin B?

Yes! Check the fluorescence of al the things!!!

3 Likes

Tonic water and UV lighting was used to simulate the blue glow of Cherenkov radiation in the movie ‘K-19’ which is based on a real-life incident in which the Soviet Union’s first ballistic missile submarine suffered a catastrophic reactor leak.

12 Likes

THIS is actually interesting !

4 Likes

Anyone who has ever had a gin and tonic in a club already knows this.

2 Likes

I keep scanning that headline as “Toxic water is fluourescent” and I’m all, like, “Yay, finally an easy way to tell.”

2 Likes

… and then the G&T kicked in?

2 Likes

Starch fluoresces under UV.

2 Likes

Huh, I wasn’t aware that Mtn Dew /bottles/ fluoresce. Nor was I aware that Monster did. But now that I know Vitamin B will do the trick. Good stuff.

Used to put tonic in the mix for Jell-O shots to make them glow during the years when I could consume such things without my body revolting on me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.