Tony Hawk, 52, landed his first 720 in years. And he is stoked.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/27/tony-hawk-52-landed-his-first-720-in-years-and-he-is-stoked.html

11 Likes

Undeniably one of the coolest people alive.

13 Likes

Good Human Alert!

10 Likes

Ann Arbor’s skatepark never would’ve been constructed if it weren’t for Tony Hawk.

He’s a very good egg.

8 Likes

The punk rock is strong in this one.

6 Likes

He’s such a cool human being. I’m amazed at how active he’s stayed and all of the work he continues to put into the sport, community and individual skaters.

6 Likes

I just caught this recent Werner Herzog interview with a skateboarding magazine. There’s a great bit where he talks about how skateboarders have an incredible tolerance for failure… beating their bodies against the pavement again and again in the ongoing quest to land a trick.

So now I want to see Werner Herzog do a documentary on Tony Hawk.

10 Likes

And Tony Hawk’s coolness includes and transcends typically-uncool traits like being self-deprecating, civic-minded, and nice.

I can’t put more than one foot on a skateboard without hurting myself, but I am a huge Tony Hawk fan.

6 Likes

I love the reaction at the end. Such genuine joy at a personal achievement. Such a great dude.

7 Likes

But did people recognize him?

1 Like

yeah, whatever, tell me when he lands a 52 at age 720, then i’ll be impressed.

1 Like

Tony Hawk (52): Lands a 720

Me (53): Turned 360 degrees looking for my shoe this morning and fell down.

I rest my case. I’m Tony Hawk.

3 Likes

I’ll be impressed if I can land a 52 when I’m 52.

6 Likes

I’ve been playing the remaster of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 & 2 on PC. A lot of these remasters are lackluster, but these kick, especially if you enjoyed the originals.

3 Likes

But they’ve taken the punji pits out of the remakes!

This is a good thing in case you need to ask.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.