Tools, ads, and bad defaults: Web bloat continues unabated

Open BSD, to the untrained eye, looks as bloated as any other operating system, but turns out to be surprisingly nimble, flexible, and muscular when stressed.

2 Likes

You just canā€™t have 170 different ways of building a web site. You need four or five ways which satisfy 90% of requirements, otherwise the whole thing will be uneconomic. Build a static site. Very nice but at the end the customer will throw in a requirement for something special and you have to build it again from scratch,

I work for a web development company and this is just how it is. So much wordpress. Its a pain but it pushes the projects through,

4 Likes

Crikey, you make web development sound like a laxative!

9 Likes

Iā€™ll get on that. Hadoop in the browser will be a truly disruptive technology. But I should probably implement it as a series of emac macros, what do you think?

8 Likes

That explains the shitty results.

8 Likes

Hrrrmm, Iā€™ve been trying but havenā€™t been able to re-create it, even with all my various blockers turned off. Itā€™s entirely possible that the problem was solved at one point, either on BBā€™s end or last time I updated the OS and/or Safari (was on 10.6-10.9, just jumped to 10.11).

So never mind, Iā€™m back to just complaining about the layout changes :wink:

2 Likes

Speaking of which, Iā€™ve been using the category/post url, but just noticed that I never saw the Lemmy post until it showed up in the ā€œpopular postsā€ just now. Iā€™d had suspicions that this was happening, but just thought maybe I was being absent minded or crazy. WTF?

I wish somebody could explain why the comments link sometimes goes back to the article,not to the BBS. Is that put in manually? Or do BB editors just like driving trollies commenters?

8 Likes

The basic problem is monetization in the face of fragmentation. Ad revenue isnā€™t a consistent stream of revenue, and publishers are allowing more intrusive/lucrative ads to try to get themselves back to even.

Ars is on the right track; removing the parasite of DoubleClick (A Googleā„¢ Company) and other ad companies means content publishers need to ask their customers directly for money.

Iā€™m still not understanding how me paying a few bucks a month to Patreon or other subscription method to support BB would be less lucrative for them than waiting for me to click on ads that I donā€™t even see.

5 Likes

Just embed emacs into the browser and use the emacs web browser from within. You canā€™t get much more meta than that.

5 Likes

Waitā€¦ you run Safari voluntarily? Hell, it took Safari ten years to get around to making a popup blocker.

Run Firefox or, if not that, Chrome!

1 Like

So, uh, I take it that you donā€™t have a twitter account?

People like me use it as a primary news source instead of watching TV or reading news sites, neither of which I have done without a reason for many years.

2 Likes

A puffer fish merely pretends to be full of bloat in order to keep predators away.

7 Likes

Strong risk there of echo chamber effect plus a lot of anglocentricity.

5 Likes

In reality, theyā€™re full of tetrodotoxin.

5 Likes

You mean unlike newspapers or other news sources?

Sorry but I donā€™t really read The New York Times or watch CNN. I also donā€™t think that consuming news via big corporate media, which has its own interests, isnā€™t an echo chamber of sorts.

I also only read English so Iā€™m going to get an English language bias no matter what.

Al-jazeera and rt.com (for starters) provide English translations. Canā€™t help with French and German. There are also English-language Chinese papers and there are English-language Israeli ones. And thereā€™s Google page translate.

DW and RFI?

1 Like

Youā€™re just encouraging me to be a lazy monoglot.

1 Like