Tools, ads, and bad defaults: Web bloat continues unabated

PHP and bloated javascript frameworks can just go FORTH and multiply off.

1 Like

but a polysourced one : )

2 Likes

Start forking over real money to BB in the hopes that they will cut back on the ads and seemingly paid for product reviews?
Cause that always works out…

1 Like

I do actually.

I use it the same way, though I’ll click through to interesting articles, it serves as my most convenient aggregator. Don’t get me wrong, Twitter is extremely useful. But the vast majority of Twitter is still people Tweeting what they had for lunch or who they’re hitting on in some bar or just bantering semi-publicly with Twitter friends (one step less real friendship than Facebook friends). I even recall an article years ago about a Twitter account that was driven by the sensors in a hydroponics experiment and literally Tweeted status updates on the plants. None of which is inherently wrong, but it isn’t substantive and therefore is, IMHO, bloat. The scant fraction of substance still adds up to a couple orders of magnitude more than the number of accounts I follow, but it’s a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of Twitter.

In a way, that’s what I regard as the primary limiter of social media’s organizing utility; unless you’re looking for some one or org you’re familiar with from elsewhere (for example I follow BoingBoing’s Twitter feed, as well as several of the BB contributors), the odds of successfully sifting through the bloat to find the substance are daunting.

Well, yeah, otherwise, you’re reading 140 characters only. That would make for shorter articles…

While there is plenty of that, my twitter stream is either commentary with a link to whatever they’re commenting on or brief quips (which I guess counts as banter). I follow around 500 people.

I find twitter is better at getting news to me than loading news sites semi-randomly every day ever was since my twitter client (I don’t read their website) is always running in a sidebar and I spend my days working on the Internet for my job.

I already read Al-Jazeera when it surfaces to me and, as an American, I make a point of reading the BBC and some of the other European sources. I just don’t go to their sites. If something hits critical mass on news services, it generally shows up 15 or 20 times on twitter within 12 hours. I mean, I found out about the Paris attacks, for example, within the hour.

I might be wrong, but I think a lot of people just read the 140 characters and hardly ever click through. I get that they’re busy and in a hurry, but I do wonder if that sort of superficial news might be worse than no news at all.

Did you discover them on Twitter, or did you hear about them through other channels and find them on Twitter? I follow about 300, that being the most I can realistically pay peripheral attention to on my client while I’m working at my desk.

All over. Some are people who were getting retweeted often were friends. A lot are RPG authors (I play tabletop RPG games) or science fiction authors that I went looking for. A huge percentage are computer security people because it is my field. If I go to a website a lot and they don’t have an RSS feed (because I still use an RSS feed reader for blogs and sites) but they have a twitter account, I’ll add it. I make a concerted effort during lunch or at the end of the day to catch up but I can’t always because there isn’t enough time in the day.

I’m not entirely happy with it because it is drinking from the firehose but I hate Facebook and only have an account there because of family. My other options are a few particular news sites but I trust very few enough to primarily read just them for real news. This is a problem still waiting to be solved.

1 Like

Ymacs - which is Emacs for the browser.

Actually, I’m surprised somebody hasn’t compiled it to JavaScript using that… thingy. Emscripten.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Here I go positing some absolutely unnecessary, and someone already did it.

3 Likes

Eh, Wordpress is pretty darn useful. It actually does abstract most of the processing server-side, serving HTML/CSS with a dollop of one, and only one, Javascript library (JQuery). Compared to a lot of other sites with many ads / whatever, it’s pretty darn light.

(Of course, if you put gigantic moving article banner images, you have only yourself to blame.)

3 Likes

I started using an adblocker (ublock origin) and umatrix.

It’s taken a little getting used to and configuration, but it’s a very nice way to conditionally unblock things.

@enso, as an iOS user, do you use Firefox’s ad/tracking blocker thingy (Focus?)?

I’ve turned it on but I haven’t paid much attention to it, frankly.

On my main computer, I run uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and HTTPS Everywhere. I also have Flash on click to play by default and don’t have any other binary plugins.

Wordpress, an unauthenticated PHP shell with a blog as a side effect, as the joke at work goes.

“Secure PHP” <-- does not exist

4 Likes

Hell, it took Safari ten years to get around to making a popup blocker.

What? Just plain wrong. Pop-up blocking was in Safari 1. Christ.

That’s not what I recall. I can’t easily find evidence either way after searching a bit. I know it shipped in Firefox well before Safari bothered.

In any case, Safari is always an “also ran” when it comes to UX, features, and security. Hell, Apple refuses to disclose the details of security fixes when they update Safari. When I see people running Safari, I feel like when I watched a cousin browsing the web with IE6 on XP in 2010. “Can’t you do better?”

Edit: Looks like you’re right and I did not remember correctly. My overall meta point still stands though. People that care about security generally don’t run Safari. It just doesn’t seem to be much of a priority there and Apple utterly lacks any transparency around their security work.

I just went and looked at how big my word press pages are. They were HUGE! And that’s when I noticed that my theme had stuck facebook like buttons and pintrist and other cruft at the bottom of every pages. So I disabled it and now they’re a lot smaller, but bigger than I’d like.

This is the single biggest thing on ever page. I was hoping I could find a way to not load it, but your comment suggests that it’s needed.

Is there another CMS that is as easy to setup and does podcasting + blog + static portfolio pages? I’d be willing to change to something more secure that put out smaller, faster pages, but it has to be as easy to install, maintain and keep current…

3 Likes

I just use github pages and Jekyll. It is free and you can use your own domain with github. It is what openbuddha.com and makehacklearn.org use.

1 Like